Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flatbed question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tlarsw, May 19, 2005.

1. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/17161.jpg

Had a question for you guys who run a flat bed or even no bed at all. I currently do not have a bed and am thinking about running without one. How does this impact offroading? Negative or positive? Rear end too lite?

This vehicle will also be used on the street.

That's for your input.

Tim

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had about a month of wheeling on my flatbed before I put it in the shop for the one ton swap

It is a lot lighter in the rear

It balances to the front on anything that will make you fore and aft unstable

It's really stiff in the rear inless you have good springs

You can do pretty awesome burnouts

Brake act up a bit, you can get a proper prop valve or somesuch though fairly easily and cheaply

I'm sure some bracing effect is lost without a bed, but you can build them back in and better with a flatbed

[​IMG]

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Here is my current setup.

[​IMG]

Only been out a few times since the bed removal. Still need to bend some shock hoops and spare tire mount. I purposely put the tank far back as I could for weight (always kept full) and the spare will help some. Instead of adding weight to the back, I'm trying to figure how to lighten the front to match.

I noticed it climbs up obstacles really well. But, I haven't dropped off any big ledges yet to compare stability. The suspension doesn't flex evenly. It pulls a rear tire way before it's maxed. That's the problem with leafs, no real adjustablity. I would eventually like to cage up the rear for weight balance and protection. Of course, rear visibility is great! But unless you're backing up, what good is it?

I would not recommend this on the street unless you mount fenders & mudflaps. For one, you'll put a rock through your back window and with your powerful motor you'll be going nowhere fast.