Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flea Remedy For My Dog

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marine_enlisted, Nov 17, 2003.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Euthanization aside, what is the best flea remedy for a dog? My Jack Russell Terrier has a few stubborn fleas that won't die. He'll be sitting there and all of a sudden he'll get a biter. He starts growling and rolling on the floor, he's starting to piss me off. Maybe he's just losing his mind. I have tried flea baths, powder,and that crap in the little tube that you apply along their backbone. I had some Hartz spray that worked well, but I hear that can get into the blood stream and settle in the kidneys causing death. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get advantage and no imitations, it has to be advantage and all the fleas will be gone forever but you have to keep using it every month, we just don't have to use it in the winter months... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get advantage and no imitations, it has to be advantage and all the fleas will be gone forever but you have to keep using it every month, we just don't have to use it in the winter months... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...advantage

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I use the Hartz spray on my 4 year old lab and she's fine. Kinda fat though.... [​IMG]

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If you want to get rid of almost ALL parasites, go with Revolution. It's like advantage, but it kills earmites, ticks, and all kinds of other crap too. Downside is it's a little more expensive.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The problem is that even if you kill all the fleas on the dog, only like 20% of the fleas in your house are on the dog, sinc ethey actually spend the majority of their lifespan off the animal. I use Frontline Plus on both my dogs and my 2 cats and haven't seen a flea in years. Before starting to use it the damn house was like a flea circus. The stuff is expensive but if you treat all of your animals at once you only have to use it every 3 months or so rather than once a month like it says on the instructions.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I buy from here... http://fleasupermarket.com/

They do rotating sales, so if they don't have what you want now, keep checking back. By far the cheapest I have found anywhere.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If you use advantage, the dog is like a walking exterminator. Maybe only 20% of the fleas live on the dog, but when he walks by or lays down, hundreds will jump his ass right away and the Advantage will kill them all. It also works in the yard too.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you use advantage, the dog is like a walking exterminator. Maybe only 20% of the fleas live on the dog, but when he walks by or lays down, hundreds will jump his ass right away and the Advantage will kill them all. It also works in the yard too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Frontline works the same way. That's why I said that if you treat all the animals in the house you don't have to treat them as often, since there's no where that the fleas can feed so their lifecycle is broken.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you can see fleas on your dog then they are living in your house too, like in the carpet, in your furniture and in your bed. If you treat your dog then they will start jumping on you. My cat use to have fleas really bad. I hate using any kind of poison, like Advantage, Frontline, or any kind of spray. I got this product called Terminator. It's simply a very fine grain organic salt that you rub into your carpet. This will break the flea cycle since the eggs can't survive in those conditions. It will take a few weeks before you notice it working. I used it once about 5 yrs ago and never saw another flea again.
    You can also use a spray called SheaPet. It's a coat conditioner that also contains Eucalyptus, which fleas hate. Disclaimer: Eucalyptus is poisonous to dogs, but only in sufficient quantities, but at least I know what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

we have 2 great pyranese, 1, german sheppard, 4 cats...and i dont even know what fleas are

mabye its the climate

12. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Another vote for Advantage here. When I first got my dogs, the fleas must have been dormant or something cause I got the worst infestation /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I treated the dogs with Advantage, my yard with diazinon (sp?) and the house with that hartz junk you sprinkle on the carpet. If you treat everything at once and keep up on it for a couple of months, the fleas will be history. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif