Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex a Lite Fan ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blueblaze, Feb 28, 2003.

1. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Is anyone useing a Flex a Lite fan on there rig? Also would like some pics of one installed in a k5. It's not for a tranny, I was looking to get more pony juice.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you are talking about a regualr flex fan right?if you are the only thing you will need probably is a spacer kit if you are running a short water pump.that is what i had to do.i think mine is a 2 inch spacer and it came with the bolts i needed when i bought the kit.sorry no pics right now.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'm running a flex-a-lite fan...DON'T DO IT!! Not worth it. Considering the clutch lets the fan spin freely if operating correctly, it will cool a lot better in hot temperatures. I can't sit and run my A/C in anything above about 78 degrees for more than 10 minutes without overheating. I upgraded to the HD cooling 3 row radiator, new water pump, 180 degree thermo and I still overheat. My next option is an Edelbrock racing water pump, Be Cool radiator and dual electric fans. I'd just stick with what you have, but if your temperatures don't go above 90 degrees very often, go for it, but if you're like me, you'll need to put a good size spacer on it. Make sure you get the right one if you have a serpentine belt drive, it rotates in the opposite direction.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I went with Howe alum rad and dual ele. fans.One on thermostat other on toggle.No manual fan at all.Above 25MPH neither one runs,sitting still with air on use both and therm one cycles on & off.Could tell diff. in pep without man. fan too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

i got dual ele. fans both on a toggle with a 195 Temp Stat and stock radiator. Runs at about 195-210 fine never overheated even while wheeling hard always got the fans on while offroading. but cruzin around town dont need them untill hit a long traffic light. i got a flex fan and it sucked i had overheating probs while idling dont get a flex fan Unless you mean Flex a lite elec. fans /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah!
    I'm talking about the electric fan. I'm thinking the part number is 210 or 250. Is hard to install? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v never really liked Flex fans. I think the stock steup with the fan clutch cools better, And robs less power.
    If you are concerned about getting every last bit of "juice" you should go with electric fans like the other posts say.
    One thing I really hate with Flex fans is the blades are very sharp they will cut the S#!@ out of you if you have to work on anything in the front of the engine.

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

In my '89 Sub I had a 4-row radiator built that is the size of a stock big block radiator. I then removed the stock mechanical fan and installed two Flex-a-lite Black Magic electric fans side-by-side. I have a high-flow mechanical pump and currently run a 180 deg. thermostat. I previously ran a 160, but I am experimenting with the 180 now. My truck runs very cool and the fans usually do not even turn on around town unless I am stopped at a light for a long time. I did notice a difference in power when I changed to the electric fans. It's also great to know you can blast up a hill on the highway with the A/C on and towing a trailer and not worry about the heat. When I figure out how to post a pic I will do so.

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Earlier post was what I'm running now.The thermostat went out and now got both on toggles,just keeping close eye on temp when going slow.I used to run thin flex fan{metal type}on the hot rods till one of the blades came off at about 4000 RPMs.It sliced the top radiator hose like a knife and came all the way out through the hood of my 68 SS Chevelle like a bullet{sorta}at about 120 mph.Thats when I started using ele. fans on most of my rigs.That happened in 72 and I still can see the blade blowing a hole in the hood.You always remember the thrills. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

Paul Paul Paul I dont know about your blazer but mine does not pull a 40 foot trailer ther fore it is not a RIG thank you please pull to the 2nd window /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

dont wanna Hi-jack the thread... but do we have a decent write-up on the install of electric fans, Part numbers, etc...?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

You might want to reconsider on the Edelbrock racing water pump. If i'm not mistaken, the racing water pump pumps water faster through the engine and radiator and have heard that is a bad thing on most non-racing applications due to the fact the coolant doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to get cooled back down. Read the article once, so I may be wrong.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna search for that... Hmm, I'll probably get a stock fan or, when I get some cash, go electric. It's just a pain in the butt, you know? The body lift didn't help the cooling, either.

14. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Sid is a very funny man!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

If you are considering electric fans, I would suggest looking at perma-cool.

I went with electric fans for my Vortec 454 swap. After much research and talking with both flexalite and permacool, it became clear that permacool was far superior. For starters, flexalite didn't even recommend using electric fans on a 4 row. I think it is all because they really don't move anywhere near the CFM that permacool does.

Can't speak to the effectiveness in hot weather with A/C and towing... still working out a few bugs /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif However, it did seem to do okay around town w/o A/C on the hot days last summer (got up to 220, fans kick on, down to 195).

I can't offer pics until I finish reassembling from the cam/lifter install (yet another in the string of troubles... okay, just the lifters, but since I was there, rules dictated an RV cam /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif )

16. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I second the Perma-Cool suggestion....I just bought the Perma-Cool headerd comp. oil cooler for my 454 swap....this thing is AWESOME....I am going to run 2 of their 16" electric fans in a custom aluminum shroud...That combined with the new 4-core radiator should keep that schiznit nice and cool...

Chris