Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex ? again - anyone do a before and after flex comparo on this........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jan 10, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just opening up the rear spring clamps..................I mean bending them up or cutting the tops off..............

Just wondering. Ramped 714 with brand new HD springs, some of the restriction were the rear shocks (being remounted, right Jeremy?) and the front shocks too (F250 towers) but I know the spring clamps on these TC HD springs had to be a factor too.

Setup is 4" all spring lift with a 1" ORD block. I tow with this truck and at this point am considering options for improving the flex slightly while retaining the towing capability. I am not trying to get 1000 out of this, just want to maximize what I do have..............[​IMG]. Opening up the clamps would constitue a free upgrade if it does help. Any downside to this?

TIA

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Parking brake cables are one of my limiting factors on the rear. Problem is if I fixed that I would need to go to a long spline drive shaft. On the front I am about out of travel on the drive shaft but right now my shocks are my limiting factor. Clamp work and some qulity time with a grinder will get you more out of the springs. I ramp 752 on a 25deg ramp. Thats stiff Ronchy springs in the front, Shackle flip in the rear with stock 86 rear springs. Depdog has the same set up as I do but corrected shock mounts all the way around and EZ front springs and he's 900's on a 25 deg ramp.
    Your not going to get quite that because of your rear springs. A shackle flip makes the spring act different (softer). However with you towing that stiffer rear set up is going to be better. I have had some issues towing because of my rear set up. (read as almost flipped the truck at 70mph).

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That's interesting info, Eric. This 714 (going up forward) was on a 25 degree ramp so its' similar comparisons at least, and also with stiff HD springs. The entire suspension was literally brand new, two weeks and 80 miles old, so hitting 714 was OK for then. Want to check it again now that I have six months and a couple thousand miles on the suspension - I know both front and rear springs have settled a little bit so might be a better number now. Then I will do the clamp opening, the shock relo and see where it ends up.

What did you mean by 'quality time with a grinder'?

Scary thought, your experience at 70 mph.............[​IMG]. Glad you made it through it OK.

Thanks again.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did a comparison that was similar to what you're asking. I knew my front shocks were a limiting factor up front on my truck so I disconnected them but left the clamps on my stiff front Rancho springs as is and used a forklift to see how high the tire would comeup off the ground. With the clamps 'closed' it was about 31 inches. Then I used a prybar to open the clamps and the tire would come off the ground another inch or so. I was surprised...I thought the springs were too stiff for such a simple mod to work but I did this back to back without ever moving the truck.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks bud. That is what I had in mind............now any 'downside' to opening up the clamps front and rear? They are there for a reason but that never stopped us before.............[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would just open them up so the clamps point straight up and then insert a pin through it. the reason is on Estebans rear springs when he flexed they started to fan out(may want to have him confirm this). As far as the shock set up...wherever you want just not this week...
    And for the grinding...you may want to take the spring pack apart and smooth off the ends of the springs so it isn't just a straight cut edge, it'll allow then to interact better with each other.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No hurry on the shock setup.............I do have 9012 shocks but I'lll still need to relocate the lower mount. Bud here has a welder, so whenever you want is fine, at your convenience.

When we put the ORD Zero Rate add a leaf in the rear I took the spring pack apart, the Tuff Country guys did a great job of smoothing the ends, and they had the inserts (Teflon or UMHW or whatever) so I don't think I need to go down that road. I will bend the spring clamps straight up..........might check them as I flex it and then see if I need to drill for a cross pin.