Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flex fan/good muffler

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roadrash, Jan 26, 2003.

1. roadrash

roadrash Registered Member

Have a 71' Blazer with a 350, 4spd, Edelbrock cam and intake with headers and A/C. My stock fan pushes alot of air and makes alot of noise(wind). Anybody have any feelings about flex fans. Do offroading but never at a snail pace, some towing (light) and alot of highway. Also looking for some free flowing (not glass packs)mufflers with a deep growl but not too /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif loud. Summit and Thrush have some cheap ones in the Summit catalog. Have any opinions?

2. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

a stock clutch fan with a new thermal clutch should be quiet enough, most local muffler shops sell some sort of welded flomaster copy for about half the price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Here goes... I went with a flex fan in the K5 looking to "free up" some HP. Didnt do anything. The fan works great and keeps the K5 a little cooler than the stocker (I got a bigger flex than the stock fan) so no worries there... I say why not, if you have a decent motor and the right gearing you may even notice that you changed it. As for mufflers... Flowmasters are the only way to go. I bought some cheapies to get me by when I blew the stockers (yeah they were really stock) insides out. That was the single biggest mistake I have made yet. Every time I drive it, I regret not having gotten the FM's. I got the Flowtech Afterburners... supposed to be a decent muffler for the price.

just my .02

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The DynoMax Welded Ultra-Flow flows better than the Flowmasters and it's quieter. It still has an aggressive sound, but it's not that rock in a tin can sound that often comes out of Flowmasters.

I personally don't like flex fans and prefer the heavy tuty clutch setups. They draw less power (when de-clutched) and move more air than a clutch fan.

5. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I've got original style(not delta flow)dual 2.5" Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with dynomax headers and they sound mean. You can make them quiet if you want to but anything over 3000RPM and they start to get loud but not obnoxious. Near 5000rpm and they scream. I love them and did feel the power increase when I put them on in place of the stockers.

Evan

6. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I just got 2 $30 glass-packs on my dual exhaust. They wake some neighbors up, but i guess they dont mind. I am almsot done with my new engine for the blazer. Im using a clutch fan on it too. If I knew how to post pictures, I would. I got some nice ones. anyone wanna do a wlak through with me?? on how I go about posting some pcitures. I see a lot of you use webshots. that cost money? just gotta sign up? hows that work?

well, my 350 bored 30 over has got flattops with RV cam, ground valves and seats. CHEVY ORANGE BLOCK AND HEADS with CHROME valve covers/air cleaner. dipstick, breather, funny blots for the valve covers too! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif AND Edelbrock Performer intake, dad's bringin home 2 sets of HEI wires to fit around my coyote headers. thats about if for the engine. I wanna post pics, but im in the dark on that subject.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I installed an 18" flex fan, did not notice a difference. As far as mufflers, installed summit welded mufflers(chambered), 2.5" pipe exit behind the rear wheels sounds a lot better than the turbos I took off.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

When you dive into water and have to stop waiting for the water to run off the hood so you don't make sure the flex fan eats radiator, that's not a good thing.