Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex Fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979Jimmy, Jul 5, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When we were out at Hollister I destroyed my fan in the mud pit and the shroud. I had to go to town to buy a new fan and since noone carried the original equipment fan I had to buy a flex fan.

When we got back on the trail i was running hot not overheating but definatley hotter. I didnt have the bottom half of my fan shroud wich may have been part of the problem but what is the deal with these flex fans I thought they were suposed to pull more air. Is that just not true? Or is it only at speed because on the ride home it seemed to cool just as well and maybe even a little it better.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Did you get a spacer to space the flex flan half in and half out of the shroud?

Good luck.

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yup got a 2 inch space without it the fan wouldnt even clear the engine or anything.

4. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

You might want to clean off your radiator. If you destroyed your fan and fan shroud in a mudpit, chances are the radiator is packed with mud. I run a flex fan and it does good, I don't even have a fan shroud. You could also check your thermostat, it might not be the problem but if it is, it only costs about $5 to fix.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Your missing fan shroud half is probably a big culprit, as well as mud in the fins of the radiator like someone else said. I run a 19" flex fan and it works great with a shroud, but doesn't work well without one. The Flex fan pulls more air at low RPMs, at high RPMs it flattens out to reduce drag, supposedly. At highway speeds you don't even really need a fan, the air coming through the grill should be all the flow you need.

I destroyed a fan and shroud on my first ever run through the pit at Hollister too. Must be a common thing... I had to clearance the shroud on the bottom to clear the 19" fan, now it doesn't hit anymore. </font color>

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I got an 18 in one i would assume the fan shroud is the issue. Ill clean out my radiator too.