Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex fan

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I was thinking about putting a flex fan in my 89 K5. Does anyone know what size and how thick the spacer would have to be on my particular truck?? Also, Im assuming that since I have a serpentine belt that mine has "reverse flow", if anyone knows differently, could you please let me know??

Thanks, Ken

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't know the diameter of the fan itself, but i do know on my dads 77/81 burb, he is using a 3" spacer with his flexfan.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yuck... flex fan is yucky.. my 86 k10 has one.. cant stand that loud SOB.. anyways.. your waterpump turns in reverse, but you dont have reverse flow cooling.. that is LT1 engines only, 93-97, fbodies, corvettes (93-96) and caprices/impalas..

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I installed one on my '89 Burb and i didn't like it, it was too noisy and still did not perform as i needed it to, i can't recall the back spacing, i want to say something like 2" or so spacer, and yes it is a reverse rotation fan. If i were you i would just go with a heavy duty fan clutch, they work just good, with better fuel economy and less noise.

Just my opinion.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Or you could go with dual electric fans and forget about that stuff. I love electric fans, but you need to make sure your electric system can handle dual electric fans.

6. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

What kind of electric fans would I need and what is involved in the setup?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Installing them is pretty easy, just gotta run a couple wires, and if you get a fan that comes with the hardware (more like plastic ware) then you just use the provided zip tires which go through your radiator and hold the fan on. I have one 16" fan right now, but noticed last summer while going up steep hills off-road the engine would get up to around 210*, so i'm going to install another 12" fan just wired up to a switch. You'll also need to buy a thermostat for the main fan unless you just want to control it through a toggle switch. I am going to install a toggle switch on my main fan though so incase I get into some real deep water I can kill the fan. The 16" fan keeps it cool even idling in traffic in 90+* weather, but once your putting heavy loads on it off-road it starts to get a little warm if its hot outside.

This is the fan I have right now, and will probably get the 10" one they also carry as a auxillary fan.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110804&prmenbr=361

8. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this is a flex electric setup. it provided full coverage over my entire radiator. i used some stock angle aluminum from home depot and was able to use my stock fan shroud mounting locations at the top and bottom...

[​IMG]

9. audacious

audacious Registered Member

flex fans are no good unless you are always driving and never mudding or crawling. i say this because a flex fan is flat when u are at high rpm, but if your not going anywhere i.e. high rev on a rockface, deep in mud, then you do not benefit from the fan. in fact in those situations the flex is far worse off then just the stock. if ur looking for better cooling go with a larger water pump and a 4 core radiator, and mabye some electric fans if nessecary. also keep that fan shroud on it helps reduce hot air circulation. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif