Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flex plate and engine running

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Apr 1, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

if i have my transmission and torque converter removed, is it ok for me to start and run my engine to watch my flex plate and ensure that it does not have any "wobble" to it?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i dont see why it would hurt.. thats how it runs on an engine stand i think..

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive done it before, when i had my tranny out and exhaust off (headers) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yes, its fine, stay away from the flexplate though

5. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    yes, its fine, stay away from the flexplate though

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely... Be carefull dude, that thing could rip you a new one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, we started a 350 on the stand with nothing attached. No flexplate, exhaust (open valves /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) just for a second to see if it ran OK. I was standing in front of it and the fan pulley flew off and went between my legs. Missed the twins by .0001"

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

how did you start it will no flex plate? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

that musta freaked you out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do you have an engine mount that I don't?? Secure the motor well or you'll bust/bend the distributer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Take all the precautions you can think of and DO NOT get rev happy . Your motor will rev FASTER than ever before due to lack of converter weight. Beacareful not to kill your motor by over reving of reving to quickly !
    Tom

10. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

What are you supporting the rear of the engine with when the tranny is out? Why not just remove the flexplate and check it for warp, by laying it down on a flat surface, or just replace it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I would not recommend you do that....take the plate off and check it if there is any question....also how is the back of the engine supported..???

12. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

a couple of you are asking how i am supporting the rear of the engine... i am not sure yet. my tranny install instructions state that i need to support the rear but tell me not to place a support under the oil pan. there are a few areas that i can get a bottle jack into but this will not work if i am going to run it to observe the flex plate. at first, i did not realize how inexpensive the flex plate was (35 to 45 bones). i am working with a 95 crate motor; if the flex plate looks flaky in anyway, i am just going to replace it.

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how did you start it will no flex plate? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

that musta freaked you out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I don't know why I said that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Flexplate was indeed on, but nothing else was. And yes, it was very freaky, and my dad and neighbor pissing their pants laughing didn't make it any better. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

14. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you can support it under the oil pan, but use a block of wood(2x4/2x6, ect.) on top of the jack to spread the load