Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex/Shock Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMC, Mar 2, 2004.

1. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Flex/Shock Q\'s

As a general rule of thumb when flexing do you usually get more stuff or more drop? I'm going to put Ford shock towers on and was wondering where to set-up the shocks. Should they go right in the middle of the travel when just sitting on level ground or a few inches either way? Thanks.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Flex/Shock Q\'s

depends on weight and springs, along with some other little thngs. Best idea is to test flex with no shocks at all, and record the measurements then make the mounts and shocks work around those limits.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Flex/Shock Q\'s

I think the best way is to set up your bumpstops to stop your wheel travel where your springs will be completely flat. Add 1/2" for good measure so you don't break your shock mounts, and set up the towers so that the rest will allow droop.

I don't know what kind of suspension system you've got. I have just started to mess with mine for more travel. Lift is easy to achieve, but properly engineering a long travel arrangement is a little more involved.