Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flex tabs for 72 blazer doors (help)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scasey28, Feb 26, 2007.

1. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Just finished painting my k5, and now the doors are rubbing. It seems that blazer doors have a little plate that screws onto the of the door, just above the striker. Then there is another plate which screws onto the inside of the door jam. When the door closes these two plates hit one another and prevent the door from flexing. I am in a tight bind and would greatly appreciate some feed back.
    Thanks

2. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Hey Scott, there's a silver K5 over at Hector's you may be able to steal some parts off of.. oh wait... they be mine!!

You missed one hell of a snow run on Sunday, we went up to Cohasset and broke trail all day long.... freakin awesome man. I rode in my bros Rubicon and my buddy took his Yota... it's just NOT the same without a roaring V8 busting through the drifts.

Hopefully the K5's will be ready to go before the white stuff is all gone.

talk to ya later, Nate

3. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Oh crap.... that one was yours, well I guess you'll be wanting your parts back!!! lol hey is your buddy’s wrangler yellow? A friend of mine has a big ass scout II and he wheels all the time with a few locals, and one has a lifted yellow Rubicon. Next time you guys hit the trails let me know, if it comes down to it, ill strap some chains on my saturn and mob that ;-). Anyways I'll catch you later.
    -Scott

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What to the door gaps look like? Pics?

You probably aren't going to make major changes by adding that small striker plate.....but you can change the gaps by shimming under the various bodymounts (the Factory Assembly manual explains how to do this).

The other thing to check is if your lower door hinge area is rusted or weakened (pretty common). As the hinge mounting area weakens (on the door side) the weight of the door pushes down and caves this in slightly. It's another reason why on the old K5s you have to LIFT the doors up slightly to close them.

Hopefully, that's not your issue since it sounds like you just finished all the painting and final assembly.

:usaflag:

5. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

ok here is the drivers door jam. also, went ahead and ordered new poly body bushings. Let me know what you think.

-scott

door jam3.jpg

door jam2.jpg

6. Greg72

That gap looks pretty freaking nice (uniform and narrow).... I'd mame and pillage to have mine look that good! :D

Do they look like that all the way around the door......across the jam, and up the hinge side??? :dunno:

7. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Yep they sure do, so you think shimming one of the body mounts will fix the door from hitting the jam?

8. Greg72

SCasey,

Here's the page from the Assembly Manual that I was referring to. Hopefully you can read it clearly enough.

[​IMG]

It talks about that small wedge plate too....maybe this will help?

If the gaps are uniform all the way around, I'm a little confused how the door can still be rubbing.....having even gaps to me indicates that the door is PERFECTLY centered in the opening. :dunno: