Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flex vs. traction bars

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Feb 25, 2001.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If I install traction bars how much will this affect flex. I am not an avid rock crawler more sand, dirt/mud, & snow.

[​IMG]

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt worry of you are not doing any major rockcrawling. RESPECT MY ATHAURITAY!

--matt
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    <font color=red>SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!</font color=red>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shaggyk5 on 02/25/01 07:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks man.

[​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You can make traction bars that will not eliminate flex. Get some weld-on brakets and some heim joints from a circle track suply store, then some DOM tubing. Attatch the links from the axle to the frame, and they will eliminate axle wrap. Heim joints will allow the trac bars to twist so flex wont be effected.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Or, make a torque arm type of traction bar, which is basically a normal traction bar, connected to the axle in the normal way. The difference is that it connects to the frame through a second link, which has a joint at both ends. It should be set up so that this link is straight up and down when the vehicle is level and at rest.

This prevents twisting of the axle tube, but allows it to travel through a large range of motion.

<font color=blue>"We have to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women..." Bill Clinton, 1996.</font color=blue>