Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexablility ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 12, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am wondering how well a couple different setups would flex. Using the stock length front and rear springs. Now would a reaer hackle flip make any difference on flexing? Or would a 4" rear spring flex better? And would a 6" spring flex more than a 4" spring?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The smaller the lift , the better the flex . Using good rear springs with a shackle flip I am limited by my shocks and the springpack clamps , it flexes so well I have to do something about the shock mounts and move my shocks before I can even unbolt the spring clamps and use it all :D

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I see! That is quite intresting :thinking: The only option for the front really would be a 4" spring to match the shackle flip right? also where would you move your shocks to? and how would you go about just unbolting the clamps? don't you need them? Thanks for the info I find this quite fascinating. :waytogo:

4. pauly383

Eventually I want the shocks moved inboard on a crossmember between the frame rails . I would be removing the spring clamps to let the leaves flex more , I wouldn't need them on trail and could put them back on the street .

Yes for the front you just need a 4 inch spring to match :k5: :k5:

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking: I spose w/o the sway bar up front that'd help a bit too. But does that hurt the handling on the street w/o swaybar?

6. pauly383

No swaybar = more flex . My project has no swaybar , my regular truck has quick disconnects for the swaybar . Crossover steering ( someday 4 me ) cannot work with the stock style swaybar so if you want that you are taking it off anyway :k5: :k5:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

what are the bennies of an xover steer setup? and there isnt any shackle lift kit for the front is there? also does moving axles forard or rearward make any difference in flexing?

8. pauly383

Read this http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml

As for the other questions you are going to have to search the board its been covered and I don't know much about reengineering the suspension . Perhaps read threads about 52 inch springs up front etc . I prefer to make it as flexy as can with the stock wheelbase myself , simple is easier to work on and find parts :k5: :k5:

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am of the same mind too. Stock = cheaper and easier :)

10. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i know i quickly found out the shocks that come in lift kits are way to short and getting flexy with a heavy 14bff will tear the shock mounts out of the frame very easily

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

That sucks! What would be good to use in the 4" shackle flip kit with maybe an ord 1" zero rate or 2" spring?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

or you could use stock 52" rear springs in the front. LOTS more flex than stock length springs and the swap will give ya about 4" of lift.

j

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I remember asking this when I first was wonderring about a lift; you cannot get a shackle flip for the front because the way it is right now is already in the flipped position. (I think thats what my answer was from my question) For most flex, 52" springs up front (stock rears) and a shackle flip in the rear will work best. If you decide to do a 4" spring lift in the back it won't flex near as much because of the added leafs in the springs.
    For shocks you could go spendy with Bilsteins, or cheaper Doetech (sp?) shocks that are around 30 bucks a piece, and have approx. 14" shaft travel.
    When you move your front axle forward, and your rear axle backwards it increases the wheelbase, and increases approach/departure angles. From what I can see it won't really help flex too much, unless you are rubbing on the floorboard/firewall,then you would have to move the front axle forward to improve flex in that matter.
    With the crossover steering, you will need it if you swap in the rear springs, up front. But if you just go with a 4" leaf spring lift, then its not neccesary unless you are really into rocks, or off camber situations where flex is needed. But with anything in life, there is an up and down. If you go the crossover route you have to get either 1 ton axles for your rig, or find a flatrop d44 knuckle for your 10 bolt to work with the crossover steering parts. Also since crossover is side to side instead of push and pull steering, you will have to find a 2wd steering box.
    By looking at ORD's website (www.offroaddesign.com) you can get a good look at crossover steering, shackle flips, etc.
    if you have any more questions, just ask!

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

right on Steve, you're gettin the hang of this stuff. :D

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

dood! the "rookie" has started schooling me... hmmmm :screwy: j/k :grin: steve u r too cool! :grin: I am thinkin I would like to swap in the xover steering when i get another K5 to "projectify". And currently just seriously by coincidence, I have a 75 (I believe if I was told correctly when I bought it) d44 8 lug under my 84 crew dually... I'm thinkin need a d60 for that anyway... followed by another and a 400/205 combo and misc parts to convert the 82 to 4x4... but thats another story. :grin: So the d44 should work nice for the xover as if i read ord's site xover section correctly, the 76 and older were all the right knuckle. I originally thought that 52" front would be entirely more than I would need and too much cost/ hassle for it's worth. But then again it would go more places, allow me to do more work to it, and be more fun. So it is a good idea to think about the 52" swap. Which I need to do a search and ask some ?? if I do not get all answered after search on here. and since the 52" swap would give the front a 4" lift then it'd be great as opposed to getting a 4" lift set that wont flex as much. now to go do some more learning!!!! :waytogo: thanks guys I learned a LOT today.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Slowly but surely!

Chris,
    You might also beable to get x-over for cheaper if you can find some of the stuff at junkyards and stuff (2wd steering box for example) then buy the rest from ORD, Sky, or a simular x-over steering manufactuer.
    And about the 52's up front, they can give anywhere from 4"-5" depending on the condition of your springs.

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

And to think you werent gonna be on tonight. I misthunk on that one :haha: Anyway, now I have to learn about installing the 52" springs... They seem so nice!! But even with the 4-5 of lift from the 52's I will need another 2" realistically to clear 35-36's :grin: I am thinking maybe 2 sets of ord zero rates (one set per axle) and an ord 1" body lift. I heard that the 1" was sposed to not give you any problems like the 2 and 3" do. Does that mean that they do not require any mods to be made to anything to install? I think I even have a 79 2wd steering box still on the frame I was gonna toss the ole 55 cab on.... :thinking:

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

You don't need much more than 4" of lift to trim 35/36" tires if you trim a bit. But if you want to keep your fenders, then you will need more.
    For the 1" body lift i THINK you need to extend your transfercase shifting linkage a bit.
    Remmeber you will also have to pick up some springs to go in the back if you use a shackle flip. If you use the rear ones in the front.

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I know I could cut the fenders... but am not sure if I want to yet. It may indeed be a good idea. I could just flip the rear shackles and get another set of 52" springs for the front right? :grin: Also have to figure out how much forward the 52 swap will move the front axle and what I will need ot do to the driveshaft to make it all happy.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think the 52" springs pushes the axle forward 2" i think!
    LOL yeah you could find another pair of 52's... something I need to look into soon too...
    You will also have to either lengthen or get a new driveshaft because of the 4" of lift, and the 2" forward of the axle.