Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexibility: 4" TC Front vs. 2" TC 52" Front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, Mar 21, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've beat this topic to death on here, but I've got it narrowed down to 1 specific question that I couldnt find the answer to on search. :1zhelp:

I don't realy wheel that hardcore (yet at least), but I do want it to work as best as possible. I want to do this right the first time and not have to do any more to it - the wife said "Don't Skimp" so for once I'm listening to her. That said, I'm looking for ultimate offroad capability. This thing is a trailer queen so street manners are not a concern at all.

I've got some 52" 2" Tough Country springs coming in (Thanks Desert Rat :waytogo: ) and I'm still not sure what approach I want to take on the front.
    I do have it narrowed down to 2 suspension choices:

1) 4" TC 47" Fronts + a 0 rate on the front, and a Shackle Flip+ the 2" TC's out back,

OR

2) The 2" TC's 52"ers converted for the front, and a Shackle Flip + a set of 3" TC out back

Which setup am i going to see the best off road flex & performance with? I want 1-2" more in the back so the truck sits level, and I'm doing crossover steering for sure (a friend's giving me a 2wd chevy box in exhange for letting him use my flatbed next weekend). I will probably be removing the 3" body lift before it's all said & done too.

EDIT: Also one thing that needs to be considered: A big bumper and an 8247 Winch on the front adds a few hundred extra pounds.

Thanks for any and all info.

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For an offroad only truck I would say 52's for the flex if you think you need that much flex. Keep in mind though that with 52's up front your stock steering system will not handle the flex and neither will the stock driveshaft. Also you are probably aware that you need to move and extend the shackles.

Harley

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've alredy got crossover steering planned and my font driveshaft is a $600 custom CV the previous owner put on (and that I broke the weld on the rear yoke on last weekend) I'm not lifting this truck, it already has 12" of suspension lift that I'm replacing with a lower more flexible lift - I should have mentioned this in the original post.

I am also aware of the front shackle move & extension by searching.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Anyone else? :xmas:

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, I think the better performing set up will be the 52's up front. It sounds about like the suspension I plan to run when I get to that point.

I'll most likely be going with 52" TC EZ rears that have a 2" lift. For the rear I'll probably be using TC EZ 4" 56" rears w/ a 3" flip. That's what I'm kicking around right now, but I'm keeping my options open until then.

Are you planning on 52" springs in the back, or 56"ers? I think TC only shows 4" & 6" 56" rear springs on their table. The 52" s have a few more options.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/leafsprings.html