Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FLEXIN! ***PICS***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 2, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Just thought I would share a few pics of my truck flexed up a bit. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Let me know what you think! Take a look! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Good Job! I think if I tried that in my truck, it would just roll over and play dead!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

You would be suprised... stockers flex pretty well too! Thanks!

-Dan

4. Txstruck

Well mine is an 86 K30 4x4 ex military Comm. Shelter Carrier. So it was rated at 1&1/4 ton and it is very stiff!

5. KRAZIE87K5

Right... maybe you were right then... "roll over and play dead!" LMAO! Lets not test that idea... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

6. Txstruck

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Are you going to leave the exhaust the way it is? Mine is cut off in the exact same place and I am debating on what I should do.

PS do you still have that torque rod????

8. KRAZIE87K5

In light of my recent realization that my axle is WRAPPING HARD CORE, I may have to go to a single 3" exhaust to make room for a single HD ladder bar setup on the passenger's side. What's your plan?

-Dan

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well, first off I want to get a quieter muffler. The ones I got on there now draw too much unwanted attention if ya know what I mean. I think I might have the tail pipes exit out the bumper, they hang too low and get caught up on rocks and trees. I am sure it will not be as bad after I get the 7" suspension lift installed /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I just installed the Borrego flip and I am worried about the wrap too, but I have 2" tuff country springs and they have an extra leaf in them as well as being slightly stiffer.

10. Txstruck

Wanna talk about stiff...I have 10 leafs in the back! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looking at that pic illustrates why I moved mine. Look how the stud is starting to bend downwards. If you see the other side stuffed you'd see the stud bending upwards. Eventually either the mount or the stud breaks.../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Nice flex Dan!

Rene

13. KRAZIE87K5

Rear shock mounts are intact! You bet! The truck is pretty clean, and I've never wheeled it REALLY hard.

Yep, axle wrap sure is the answer to the yoke-bashing going on in the rear of my truck. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what are your feelings on the limiting or need to address areas?

[/ QUOTE ]I saw that the front shocks are certainly going to full compress and droop... so I need the Ferd shock mounts, and the DT8000 shocks. I cured my body mount seperation issue, by installing new poly mounts and 1" ORD body lift. The pics show the mounts staying tight while twisting up the truck. I noticed that the rear springs are bottoming out on the overload leafs, even though I flipped them when I did Borrego's shackle flip. Speaking of those, I noticed that I should tack weld them in place seeing as they do move under extreme flex. Then I saw that taking the bolts out of my clamps actually makes for a little more flex. Also noticed at the same time that the draglink was coming in contact with the passenger front spring.

Sheesh.... think thats all I noticed... just a small list! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif But the first issue to fix is the axle wrap.... or my truck might just spit out the rear drive shaft sometime soon! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

-Dan

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

at least on K5s they are above the frame
    in K10s they rip a chunk out of the face of the 'high strength steel' frame

15. tRustyK5

On K5's the drivers side is above the frame...the passenger side is through the frame and rips out the very same chunk of 'high strength' steel/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I repaired mine twice before I relocated the upper mounts...

Rene

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

dang you guys , i read and just HAD to go check mine and they one side is barely hairline cracked . ignorance was bliss haha time to tear all apart , then figure out what im gonna do . /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

aww that's nothing.
    tRusty is still trying to get me to believe his engine crossmember isnt broken /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

he says take a look.
    course it is so grimy there is nop chance of seeing any hairline cracks under the fuel pump area

18. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

19. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    tRusty is still trying to get me to believe his engine crossmember isnt broken

[/ QUOTE ]
    All right...it probably is broken, but for now I'm using Andy's method "Ignorance is bliss". If I clean the grime and find a crack or three I'll worry about it. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

At the very least I have some rivets loose or broken in that area. The popping and bangin when i turn tells me that much.

Rene

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"you must sign in to view this album" /forums/images/icons/mad.gif