Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexplate broke???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle86K5, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well Hello everyone...yep it's me Eagle back from the missing in action. Bought a vette and kinda parked the Blazer for a while and I guess it got jealous and now I got a problem that I am not sure about and figured I would impose on the kindness and generosity as well as the knowledge of the good folks here.
    It started slow and now drives me nuts...I get this tinny knocking noise when I drop it in gear (auto), it revs with the engine and gets real loud when on the gas and quiet when I let off...most of the time in idle and or neutral it is kinda quiet but press the pedal and there it is. I know it is not a rod or lifter...the noise comes from near the bellhousing. A friend said the flex plate is cracked...never seen this before so i am not sure. Any thoughts? Hey Canmore you ole igoo living canuuk!!!!!
    Take care all...and thanks ahead of time...

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the flexplate is probably broken, or the crank bolts or torque converter bolts have come loose. I have personally seen two broken flexplates, and the bolts on the torque converter came loose, and it also cracked around the crank bolts on my own truck. I now use a TCI heavy duty flexplate and good bolts with locktite.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, I haven't seen you on here in a looong time...sounds like the flexplate to me, thats what my friends S10 did when it was cracked

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its happened to me. Mine was cracking out from the bolts. Another time the bolts that hold the transmission and engine together had loosened up slightly.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same.. I bought the "Heavy Duty" version from AutoZone for around $40.00 it's thicker and new not rebuilt like the $17.00 one... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Gentlemen...
    And I use the term loosly.../forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif thank you so much for your time...patience and replies. Now for something stupid... Although over the years I have torn just about everything apart, I have never torn into one of these. What should I look out for and what am I getting into replaceing the flexplate on this monster? Friend said looks like 2 days work. Another thing I have seen is remove tranny bolts one at a time and replace with a bolt much longer...6 to 8" then just slide tranny back...will this work or does it have to come out?
    Thanks again for all the help. Y'all take care! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The longger bolt idea is not bad you could try it. When mine broke I did the whole thing myself in less than a day. That means pulling the tranny and t-case, But on that truck I had a 4in lift with a 3in body so I had room to work.

Eric

9. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I've replaced a flexplate with the long bolt method(use two)..worked pretty darn slick without anyones help

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've broke 2 flexplates now. they rattle and click when you accelerate or when a lot of torque is being applied, then when you're at speed it stops. if it gets really bad they will click then you drop into gear and when you shift. remove the cover underneath the torque converter and flex plate and look at the inside. when the plate flexes it hits this cover and it will leave marks on the inside of the cover. i'll get pics of mine.

here thay are: pic 1 pic 2

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive replaced quite a few for ppl in last couple years, i have access to a garage so its not bad to pull drivetrains out from top or bottom, all ones ive replaced always seem to be during the EST years 81-86, just did this to an '86 c10 recently, got a GM plate oil pan was bad also, seems parts got cheap even worse in the 80;s

good luck

12. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine last year and I used the longer bolt method. It took some work to slide everything back and I only had enough room to get a rachet on the bolts but it worked. I believe I finshed it in under 4 hours by myself. If you got the time (which I didn't) then I'd pull it all and then you inspect everything while your at it. Otherwise it can be done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i actually just replaced mine and got done with it last nite. ill post some pics, but i ended up goin through 2 flexplates and 5 torque converters. ill get pics up when i get home later. o yea, i did it all by myself and it took only about 4 hours. and im only 16, so shouldnt b too bad for u

NITRO