Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexplate Cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Feb 4, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Anyone know where to get a plain stamped steel flexplate cover? The crappy plastic one on my '73 k5 (350/350) finally bought it. I can find chrome ones just about anywhere but I hate putting chrome under the truck;)

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Plastic? I thought all K series 350 boxes had the cast ally sheild so you can mount the tie rods. The box flange is thicker on the K boxes to accept it. I'd get an ally one and some tie/torque rods if I were you!
    (if I'm wrong, someone pitch in)

3. skink4president

Are you thinking of a different part? What I'm talking about is the inspection cover that goes over the flexplate/flywheel on the tranny.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

there are 2 different kinds from what i have in my shed. There are 3 big hole version (late model) and there are 3 small hole versions (early) and whatever year tranny you have get that style cover. I personally dump my truck in mud often so no cover for me as i have had mud fill inside the cover, dry, and when i drove my truck home it ripped every balancing weight off of the convertor throwing it out of round then my tranny started leaking and i killed the rear main seal on the motor at the same time. Its a super bummer for me to have one of those on my truck. If you really want one, then scuff and paint the chrome one that's easy to find.

5. southernspeed

No, that's the one I'm talking about.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i've often wondered if that were safe to do. couldn't see why not. are there any other precautions it's important to consider when running without one, except not sticking your hand in there and starting the engine at the same time? (ouch).

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I almost did that once tryin to beat on my starter, musta crossed the posts on the starter. Anyway, that was a good scare. I havent run mine since I put in the 496, it rubs the new flexplate. Grind on it, it rubs, grind some more, still rubs, get pissed grind a bunch, then it doesnt rub.....Then it starts rubbin when I pull into a parking lot where there are hot girls.....

9. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

I got mine at the local scrap yard. And that post about the mud filling up in the cover and knocking off the balancing weights is a good point, because I think that might be what's wrong with mine. My tranny's leaking like a motha' and the engine's leaking around the rear main...:mad:

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

seems like you could kick a rock up in there or something and really screw something up tho. maybe i'm just paranoid b/c i just had my engine balanced.

11. skink4president

Awesome. I like the price:)

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

None of the three K5s i've had had the alumimium cover, all plastic or stamped steel. BUT, I bought the '78 in '90, the '80 in '95, & the '73 in '01 so who knows what had been swapped. The '80 has the stock torque rod, the '73 doesn't, but it has stock two crossmember/ skid plate set up.

13. southernspeed

I guess maybe your POs may have changed them . My first '78 I bought off of the original owner in the early 80's and it had an ally one. My '91 i bought in '95 off of the second owner and it had the same. My second '78 didn't have one so i bought one off of one of the members here.
    I can see the steel ones having an advantage of just denting when they get bashed rather than breaking like the ally ones prob would, but I like the idea of having the extra ties at the bottom for that little bit extra support!

feb truck shot 030 copy.JPG

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is not how the torque rod mounts on an '80/NP205. It goes from the side of the case to the "bellhousing". Mine is not a "K" case so it probably was changed.

15. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 and it's an Al cast. It bolts up exactly like the one pictured. You can get them from your local dealer for approx $55. Junkyard would be your best bet though, so you can get the struts/rods and hardware.

16. southernspeed

I have the t/case to bell housing rod too. (prob the most important of them all!). If you don't have the K case tranny then it has been changed. The K case had a thicker flange where the cover mounts and takes thicker bolts so that the cover could be used as a stressed member of the box/engine set up.