Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexplate/flywheel thing is slipping on the torque converter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Jun 3, 2003.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

why would it be doing this, it just started doing it and when i installed the engine i made sure it was tight and all. anyone have any ideas?

phill

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why would it be doing this, it just started doing it and when i installed the engine i made sure it was tight and all. anyone have any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

the only way this could happen is if you forgot to put the 3 bolts in that hold the engine side of the torque converter to the flywheel.

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

nope they're on, im gonna check all three later, only one was exposed when i saw it.

phill

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say, but the flexplate is physically attached to both the engine and transmission via bolts. If something is "slipping", its broken. If the ring gear and torque converter aren't turning (or not at the same speed) as the engine, then the flexplate is probably broken all the way around the inside somewhere.

Usually doesn't get THAT bad, but I have seen it happen before.

5. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

yeah....umm....sounds like the flexplate has sheared itself into two pieces around the crank bolt circle, but even then it should be turning at the same speed as the torque converter. I can't think of a way the visible part of the flexplate and the torque converter could be traveling at different speeds as long as the 3 bolts are in.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

can you start it up and drive it? is it the flywheel and the torque converter that are turning different speeds then each-other? if it is the flywheel and the torque converter that are turning at different speeds then with all three bolts in there is now way they can turn at different speeds. is it making any noise?

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah....umm....sounds like the flexplate has sheared itself into two pieces around the crank bolt circle, but even then it should be turning at the same speed as the torque converter. I can't think of a way the visible part of the flexplate and the torque converter could be traveling at different speeds as long as the 3 bolts are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!

8. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

thats what happened to mine . my flexplate broke right
    around where it bolts to the crank.

9. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

the flexplate seems fine, it wont budge, the torque convertor has just a little wiggle like its not completely secured to the flexplate, man i hope i didnt snap the flexplate, just put the new engine in.

phill

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the flexplate seems fine, it wont budge, the torque convertor has just a little wiggle like its not completely secured to the flexplate, man i hope i didnt snap the flexplate, just put the new engine in.

phill

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flexplate is not broken and that has happened to me before just around the crank bolts, it could be the tranny pump tabs that broke inside the tranny, Also happened to me on the same car /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.
    It should make some kind of noise though either way it's not going to slip but skip and you should hear it.
    I am assuming that it isn't running or you wouldn't have noticed right?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Be sure to use some locktite on the torque convertor to flywheel bolts... I once made the mistake of NOT using any, and it really does make a horendous noise! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If the torque convertor has slight play, I would check pull all three torque convertor to flywheel bolts, locktite them, and reinstall.

Hope this helps...

-Dan