Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexplate for a 292 I6

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by afroman006, Nov 17, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Hey I am puttin a 292 on a TH400 and need a flexplate. It originally was attached to a SM465. I'm prety sure this is what I need. Thx

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I might have one - I'll have to check the 292 parts pile . It might take me a few days so if I do not respond send me a PM and remind me .

Just FYI you could make a SBC flexplate work - just drill the holes out the the larger shank size and add additional holes for the extra dowl pins - the 292 is internally balance just like the SBC's .
    Tom

3. afroman006

Well thx for the info but I'd rather not ghetto rig if I dont have to lol. If you could look and get back to me I'd appreciate it. Thx

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have used late 60s early 70s 350 flywheel and stuff on a 64 model 292 engine and never had to drill anything, worked great, watch which starter bolt pattern you have on the 292 though, you may be stuck iwth only one bolt pattern and therefore be only able to use one diameter wheel/plate

staggered pattern for 14" wheel/plate
    straight pattern for 12" wheel/plate

80-up 305 4bbl engines(LG4 and L69 caprices camaros firebirds etc are great source for 12.5" wheels and starters

or if you have manual trans then you use 14" wheel and cat iron three bolt starter nose, if the bellhousing is the original cast iron 72 older style one

5. afroman006

So you're saying that anyone off those engines will work? My 292 is an 80 if it matters. It sounded like you were recomending the one off the 305 though, is that correct? Thx

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well thx for the info but I'd rather not ghetto rig if I dont have to lol. If you could look and get back to me I'd appreciate it. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Tom's "ghetto fix" was done by a machine shop. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Just to set things straight - the early years 292's did not have the additional dowel holes but your 1980 model 292 will most definetely have them so a SBC flexplate will have to be modified to work . BUT , as luck would have it I do have a 292 flexplate along with the special retaining bolts and the center retention ring that came on O.E.M. 292's .
    Send me ten bucks to cover freight and I'll ship it to Ya . I have absolutely no plans on ever putting a TH400 in my Blazer so it will just sit on the shelf forever -I would rather see someone get some use out of it .
    Tom
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I like to call it "Professional Ghetto Fabing" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom

9. afroman006

Awsome PM your address please. Will you take a personal check? Thx

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It's all good ! PM sent .
    Tom

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I got your address and all in the mail today - I will get get the parts off of my spare motor this weekend and ship them out soon after that .
    Tom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif