Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexplate from a chevy or a caddy for my project?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jun 27, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the flexplate that came with my th400 out of a 1 ton chevy is cracked, i need a new one, do i just get a 454 flex plate, or a big block caddy flex plate. which would be right for this project?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm fairly certain that you will need the caddy flexplate to bolt to your caddy crank. Pretty sure the bolt pattern is all together different. Do some research and see if they are different from the 425 - 500. If they are the same I can hook you up.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i may still have a 425 plate if i can discern it from the rest in the pile of plates in the attic

i have one i took out of a 79 caddy limousine i had fun with it was 425/th400 and 8.5" with 2.21 gears

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cyberfire is right--only Caddy flexplates have the right bolt pattern--I'm unsure if the caddy motors are externally balanced or not...My 500 still has the tranny attached,cant look to see it..I do know Caddy flexplates are usually drilled only for the TH400 converter bolt pattern--so now would be good time to add the TH350 pattern in case you ever want to run one of them--or you could just put the TH400 converter in the TH350.tranny... :crazy:

I should at least try to get my 500 caddy motor started this summer--all it needs is a starter bolted on,and a battery and a few "hot" wires...I should get it running and see if its still any good,or if its rings went to heaven already..the way things are here now,I doubt I'll ever get to use it..I might just sell it if it still runs without smoke,before its worthless from sitting...If I have no time to fool with it now while I'm out of work--I really doubt I will AFTER I get back to work!...and with todays gas prices,thats another nail in its coffin... :frown1:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

heres what i found out
    They bolt up and fit fine BUT they may have large cutouts in them to make them lighter,and thus weaker.I've seen 'em both ways,so check before you buy.

so can one of you hook me up? thanks guys! :xmas:

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

PM sent.