Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexplate Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by along4, Jul 11, 2002.

1. along4

along4 Registered Member

I just pulled a TH350 out of my truck that had a torque converter with 3 bolts. Does anyone know if the converter that will come with my 700r4 will have a 3 or 4 bolt pattern? Know where I can get a cheap flexplate for the 700r4? Thanks.

2. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I believe they use the same flexplate? I bought a new flexplate at autozone for like $16.00. They aren't expensive unless you want to get an aluminum one.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was under the impression they were either 3 or 6 bolts, and thats it. I believe most, if not all GM flexplates are setup for either "pattern". Unless someone says differently of course : )

4. along4

along4 Registered Member

There are 6 holes in the flexplate, so maybe I can use it. Thanks.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure to check all bolt holes (both for the crank and the converter) for cracks, as they tend to after awhile, and it starts with cracks radiating from any of the holes in the flexplate.

As was suggested, it may be a wise choice to buy a new one now and hopefully avoid the problem for a long time, instead of putting a used one in your vehicle that *may* crack in a relatively short period of time, especially if they are $16 cheap (wow) Last flexplate I pulled out of a GM vehicle was warped pretty badly.

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the only diff I know is the 400 sbc is extrenally balanced and has a weight on it and notch like a big block I think. Desiels hever the 6 bolt as far as I know.... but then again, I may be wrong

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It should be fine. I have done this conversion and did not have to change the flexplate.