Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexplate replacement question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by avgas, Sep 11, 2003.

1. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Hey I saw some posts in the archives about replacing the flexplate using some longer tranny bolts and sliding the tranny back. I just want to clarify once you got the long bolts in, do you take out the crossmember bolts and the tansfer case bolts to the frame, disconnect drive shafts, and what ever linkages, then the assembly will just slide back(tranny and transfer case). Hanging on the longer bolts and the crossmember? Just trying to clarify in my head how to do this. I have a '73 with an NP203 and TH350 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    jake

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have done a few that way,with long bolts in the bellhousing--I unbolted the crossmember but left the adapter bolted to it--I used a floorjack with the tranny adaptor plate in place of the regular "saddle" that th jack came with--I bolted it to the crossmember and used the jack to pull everything back--my friend claims he doesnt even undo the driveshafts,that there's enough spline travel in them to get the flexplate out--I doubt that is the case on a lifted truck though--dont forget to disconnect the shifter to the transfer case!(I did! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i am not sure on the fullsize , but i have done it on my
    s10 4x4. i just unbolt the front shaft. then take out all the bolts to the bellhousing except for the two top ones , i loosen them up till i have about an 11/2" of room. then i dissconnect the linkage and unbolt the transfer caes from the cross member. then i just ease the whole thing back with the floor jack just enough to get my socket and ratchet
    up in there and take the flexplate bolts off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif