Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexplate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Need to replace my flexplate. What is the easiet/quickest way to get to it out and back in. Do I have to completely drop the trans?

AW

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nope, you don't have to completely remove the tranny. I've replace mine 5 time in the last 2 yrs(recent one has held up for 9 months not /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ), but all you have to do is move the tranny/tcase back far enough to get to the bolts and be able to remove it. Then just slide the tranny/tcase back up and bolt er back together /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I don't have a tranny jack. Do I need to get one, or can I just use some 2x4s and let is rest on the cross members. Do I need to disconnect everything from the trans and case or is there enough slack?

Thanks
    AW

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

As far as a jack, use whatever you can find that is STABLE enough to hold it in place long enough to do it. I used an ATV stand when I did mine(I don't own a tranny jack either).

Disconnect both driveshafts, vacuum modulator, kick-down cable, tranny lines /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif(depends on slack)tranny linkage, maybe the tcase shifter arm thru the floor. I think that is all i had to do. Been about a yr since the last time I did it.