Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexy exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Oct 29, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

could i use some flexy stainless tubing to make an exhaust for my truck...i can TIG weld so it would be easy to tuck up under my K5 with out having to spend a ton of money at a exhaust shop to do it for me. i just dont have the money to get tubing bent and dont have the tools to do it. i live in cali so smog is an issue but as long as it doesnt leak and is welded up to the cat is will pass right?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

flex pipe = leak. spend the money and do it right the first time, rather than throwing money at if for temporary fixes.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You will get too much turbulance with the flex pipe. Exhaust should be smooth. If the question is, do I let it sit or use flex pipe....Use the flex

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They're right on the flex stuff. 99.9% of the exhaust leaks I see on semi trucks are from the flex pipe. They leak from the seams at any place down the tube.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No sticker!!

Flex pipe is illegal in MA for exhaust!..I can't understand why the parts stores still sell it..I used to hate selling it,I'd always get sliced open cutting it with a hacksaw,and we had to tell the customer up front it wasn't legal to pass inspection with!..only the "ripple" pipe that is lumpy,but has no seams is legal,and many inspectors wont give a sticker with that style either,in fear of losing their inspection license..its expensive too--its often cheaper to buy the stock exhaust than to patch or replace a tailpipe ,etc,with flex pipe..

You can buy elbows and straight pipe at most any parts store,and if you can weld,TIG it yourself--you could build a dual exhaust for less than 150 bucks including mufflers..it wont be stainless,but straight pipe is heavy 16 ga steel,usually aluminized to resist rust longer..I've used galvanized chain link fence pipe with good results--lasts a lot longer!--but don't snort the fumes while welding it!..( or you'll regret it when you get "zinc chills") :doah:

I always build my own exhaust if it has headers,etc.,or just buy stock replacement pipes if needed on a stock vehicle....(I found you can run straight pipe right over the rear axle with no "hump",and they'll never touch the rear axle--the springs would have to snap first!)---they rape you to bend custom ones here,unless you know someone with a bender.. :crazy:

You can buy bolt on stainless systems from Jeggs,or Summit too..not terribly expensive compare to a custom bent system made locally.. :crazy: