Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flexy options for the front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jun 17, 2003.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping to make my truck super flexy without getting too horribly expensive. I know in the rear, options like the 57" Fords and 63" Chevies exist but what is there for the front? I thought I recalled something about someone using Wagoneer springs, is that possible? I ran a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks guys

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Loosing the sway bar, Going to long travel shocks on taller mounts, and softer springs with a longer shackle can make a huge difference. thats what I did and I'm happy with the flex.

[​IMG]

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Well I've ditched the swaybar, I've got F-250 shock towers, I've got the heavy duty ORD shackle and Tuff Country springs but I'm wondering if there is anything that would be like the equivalent of running 57" springs in the rear. I heard something about mixing up Wagoneer springs with a Jeep add-a-leaf or something like that up front. I think it might have been someone named Donovan but i'm not sure exactly.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Try running stock rear springs of a K5 in front. They should net about 4" of lift and all you have to do is move the front hanger forward into the new holes from the factory and run a 6" long rear shackle. Should pull some very good travel.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd be happy with it, too! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

BlazinZuk here has put long Dodge springs on his front and moved his axle forward about 4". It really flexes good for him. I know mine flexes good enough now that if it got any better, I would be concerned about the really long brake lines. I have ripped them off before. Thinking about going to a center drop like the rear axle. There was a post about this before a while back. I think some people got really soft i the front and ended up becoming almost undrivable on the street. I think you would have to get real soft though. I have though about pulling one of my leafs out though to see what would happen. My front rides higher than the back.

7. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Won't running a 6" long rear shackle be pretty hard on the pinion angle? This truck is pretty much purpose built for offroad and sees no daily driving but it does have to be streetable to a degree cause I don't have a trailor. It has crossover steering which should help a little but I'm sure it will handle like crap and be downright scary under hard braking. Do you know the spring rate on the stock rear springs by chance?

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

somebody has said something about relaocating your hanger and moving your old rear springs up front .....soft originals, several inches of lift, and longer springs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

maybe i should read the whole post yeah what he said up there /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's all about the shackle angle.

A.M. lifted replacment front springs put the shackle at the wrong angle, for travel. The springs need to be about an inch longer, and the shackle needs to be an inch or so longer.
    A.M. companys don't do this for (I assume);
    - The rear spring eye will hit the frame with a stock-length shackle.
    - If they did include a longer shackle, it would increase the sheering force, possibly causeing some kind of odd stability problems or worce.
    - Extream caster angles and/or U-joint angles.

Otherwise, getting the shackle at a zero pitch, or even better, a negative pitch is key to getting the front axle to articulate.

10. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Alright, thanks for the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif