Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexy suburban...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Jul 12, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have 4" pro-comp springs and 4" blocks right now and i want more flex. now obviously i could get softer front springs. but would a springer setup be safe on a suburban? i talked to marv springer a while back and suggested not doing it to a daily driven suburban because the springs are so soft. and there's so much space in a sub that you'd have to be really careful about loading up the truck. and your towing capcity would be GONE! but do you HAVE to use those springs? i know they're longer. but can you add some stiff add-a-leaves to them to keep them under control? i don't see why not.

2. muddysub

so what are yall runnin for suspension? chvyhs.. what are runnin, you got some awesome flex?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not run just the 57" springs without the Springer part? Ford used them on 1/2 ton long box pick-ups which are about the same length as a Burb and also 1/2 ton.

Rene

4. muddysub

marv told me they were really soft and that would have bad effects on the suburban.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, Marv and myself discussed putting them on my suburban, and decided that although the setup would work, and stiffer springs would be needed, towing would be the absolute worst thing I could do to it. ( even went as far as to say he would print a dash sticker that said `DANGER highly modified suspension DO NOT TOW ANYTHING WITH THIS VEHICLE'

the softer springs shouldn't be too much a problem, since 1/2 ton suburbans use way softer springs then the 3/4 tons do. your suburban will probably be like most blazers in the universe: rarely topped to capacity, but generaly running with an extra 300-500 Lbs. perhaps talking with Marve, a `lockout' could be made for the `wackey shackles' so that when you're on the road, you can lock them down solid, so they won't unfold on the highway or something if you hit a bump/get in an accident...

-Rich

6. muddysub

how much does a complete springer setup cost and how much lift does it give you?

7. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

JUST A THOUGHT BUT I KNOW MY SUB HAS 56 INCH SPRINGS AND I BOUGHT THE 6 INCH SUPERLIFT SOFT RIDES AND THEY WILL GO THE MAX BOTH WAYS UNTILL THE SHOCK STOPS THEM. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif AND THATS WITHOUT FLIPPING THE OVERLOAD. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif THE OTHER THING THAT WILL HELP IS GETTING RID OF THE SWAY BAR. THE OTHER THING I'VE NOTICED ON THE REAR IS THAT THE SHACKLE MAKES CONTACT ON THE BRACKET ON FULL COMPRESSION AND WON'T ALLOW THE SPRING TO STRAIGHTEN ANY MORE. I'M GOING TO GRIND A LITTLE OFF TO ALLOW IT TO CONTINUE MOVEMENT AND SEE HOW IT TURNS OUT /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . I CAN GET OVER 2 AND A HALF TO THREE FEET VERTICAL TOTAL TRAVEL WITH MY SET UP RIGHT NOW /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . PICTURES WHEN I GET THIS STUPID SCANNER TO WORK AGAIN. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

8. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

AS FAR AS THE SPRINGER SET UP. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER BUILDING A AIR BAG OVERLOAD WHICH DOSN'T CONTACT THE SPRING WHEN IT IS EXTENDED ALLOWING FOR FLEX AND THEN WHEN COMPRESSED IT WOULD CONTACT AND SOLVE THE LOAD BEARING PROBLEM. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif JUST A IDEA /forums/images/icons/cool.gif PLUS THEY ARE AIR AJUSTABLE FOR THOSE RARE TIMES YOU ACTULY WANT A STIFFER RIDE. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the springer setup costs about 600 bucks, if you buy all the parts from Marv... he'll give you a parts list, with part numbers if you want to go get the parts yourself, and the shackles cost I think aobut 180 for the pair, perhaps 210... ( I have the price sheet at home) the setup will act like a 4 inch lift, but give you a droop to stuff rate of at least 24 inches. also, your truck needs to start with the 52 inch spring setup, as opposed to the 56 inch springs. if you have 56 inch springs, you'll do best to shift the hangers to the 52 inch locations.

the airspring idea isn't a bad one, except that the springer setup works with an `unfolding shackle' design, which means if you put pressure on the setup, it'll start to unfold,

here's the link to Marv's Photo site

-Rich

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Hi guys...! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Lotta ?'s here... Didn't see them as I rarely venture into the "Sub" board...

I don't know if I'll help or hurt, but here's some info to chew on.

I honestly don't know how a "Springer" setup would work on a 'Burb - I've never done it. I know it would flex (!).... but controlling how much movement you'd get in the rear would be tough on the street. I think the main reason that a 'Burb owner has never tried it is: The reason people own a 'Burb is because they usually haul a lot of people or things or tow heavy loads. If they didn't - they'd prolly own somethin' else. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ... So with that in mind, my suspension seems like it could be out of place on a 'Burb.

Individual ?'s/comments:

Scott,
    I did kinda talk you out of it when we discussed it before. As long as you keep the limitations in mind it might be worth trying. I just don't want to mislead anyone. The F-150 springs are SOFT on a Blazer. I'd think they feel even softer on a 'Burb. Keep in mind that if you bolt on a "Springer" and didn't like it, you could easily return it to stock form.
    For $$, see springersuspensions.com

Rene,
    The reason for the "no towing" clause is because of the soft F-150 springs - not the rotating shackle. You're prolly aware of this if you've taken yours for a ride w/ the new springs under the rear. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Flashlight,
    I've thought about the "airbag/Springer" combo many times. Cost is the factor that kinda kills this. By the time you "springerize", the add a complete "airbag" system - you'd prolly have $1200 in a rear suspension (!).... Might not be the most cost effective way to go...

Marv

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Rene,
    The reason for the "no towing" clause is because of the soft F-150 springs - not the rotating shackle. You're prolly aware of this if you've taken yours for a ride w/ the new springs under the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, feels like half a pre-runner now/forums/images/icons/cool.gif I might have to find another tow pig for our 21 foot trailer now...gee won't the wife be impressed/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rene

12. steve_sm1

steve_sm1 Registered Member

will the drop bracket work with the standard springs

13. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'm still planning on springer suspension on my suburban. Not being able to tow doesn't really bother me. Its gonna be a trail/weekend fun truck when done anyways.

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

The brackets will not work with standard springs... thats why you need the longer F-150 springs ( what, 61 inchers? or the 57's? not sure) I am hoping to put this setup on my suburban, mainly to eliminate the damn blocks in my setup, and secondarily to add some mad flexin'

-Rich

15. steve_sm1

steve_sm1 Registered Member

well if it's the 57" ford springs, I already have 56" 3/4ton springs with 4" of lift (no blocks) why wouldn't it work?
    Just curious would hate to have to change the springs again.

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status