Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flexy trail only suspension for cheap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Dec 14, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

I am getting redy to mess with the trail only rig. I am looking at building alot of flex for cheap, and use as many parts as I can. I was looking at doing this (see picture) front and rear. Seems like this would work for flex but not sure how strong it would be. I am sure its not an ideal way to do it but I am cheap, and the vehicle is going to be a trail only vehicle that probably wont ever see anythng about 30mph.

[​IMG]

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good for a ram champ, but not so good on the trails. I think that's Marv's K5, and I recall talking to him about that front buggy leaf long ago. He was of the opinion that if he had to do it again, he wouldn't. Problem is, when climbing, the front would want to walk under too much and caused problems.

IMO, better bet is to stay way from the "buggy" leafs, revolvers, and goofy shackles all together. If you just want flex, go for the 52/56 swap like so many seem so happy with lately. Or just "fix" the front shackle angle and flip the rear (and maybe change angle too) and you'll get a much more stable rig for general use.

3. moturbopar

Thanks! That was one of the things I was worried about. I have scetched out a cam lock thing that would lock the buggy spring to the frame, it can be locked and unlocked with a foot lever next to the emergency brake. I am not sure I if am going to do this or not. Anyways the truck thing is going to have 52 in front and some other springs I found, I think they are 64" springs from later model chevy.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

52's up front and the 64's in the rear with the proper shackles will be more then enough.

5. 66ELMeano

66ELMeano Registered Member

what is this buggy spring setup? Is it just a spring setup off a smaller vehicle for a lower spring rate/ more flex for a trail only type setup?

6. moturbopar

Your probably right, I guess I dont want to make this thing more complicated than it needs to be.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol I dont remember who i got them from now, but I actually have marvs old front leaves lol:D :haha:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Whatever leaves are in the yard become mine , if that truck is in my yard X-Mas morning . Getting close :D