Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flickering Headlights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tripnz, Oct 7, 2004.

1. tripnz

tripnz Newbie

I have 88 Chev K5 Silverado. Last night on my way home my headlights began flickering Dim, normal, dim ..... you get the idea. I suspect a short in the harness, but this is a new area for me. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should check?

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I would start by checking the ground wires. Each connector should have a ground wire coming out of it. I had this problem the other night. The wires can come loose in the connector.

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Could be a bad alternator.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Similar thing happened to me one night, they flashed a few times then went out completely. Check your wires at the starter, They may be burnt and hanging by a thread or loose.

Ken

5. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem a couple of years back and it ended up being a faulty or inexistant ground. I didn't ground the engine to the frame when I swapped motors. The lights flickered because the motor would intermitently contact the frame and ground itself. Took me a couple of days to figure the very simple fix.