Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flip kit

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 90blzr, Mar 27, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Mar 25, 2001
    I am going with an 8" lit and have had people telling me to go with The 4" shackle kit in the rear nd 4" springs for a better ride. will the shackle kit be fine for driving on road quite a bit. Are they just as stable as an 8" spring or better even? Any advice would help. Also I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that it would be better to go with a 56" rearspring and move the shackle back farther. I have also heard to get front springs with an offset center pin to move the tire forward in the wheel well so it doexnt hit the back of the wheel well??????? What about the rear shackle moving the tire forward in the wheel well????? Any advice?? Do I sound confused yet??

BMRCCR Registered Member

Mar 7, 2001
    4" filip kit + 4" springs would be better than 8" lift springs. Going to 56" springs wouldn't give signifigant performance increases IMO, but is not difficult to do. On a shackle behind the axle the tire will move toward the shackle upon compression, in almost all cases.
  3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    A longer spring will give a better ride and more flex on the trail, something I'm considering after I'm finished playing bodyman...
    I'd definitely go with a 4" shackle flip and 4" springs over an 8" spring anyday, I don't think there would be any driveability issues with the flip kit.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>
  4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    you're on the right track with the 4" spring and the flip kit. It should be a lot better ride and more trail flex than an 8" spring. The deeper the "U" in the spring, the worse off you are.
    There won't be any problems with the flip kit on the street. You're biggest change is going to be the ride height, and that's the same no matter how you lift it.
    I wouldn't go to the 56" spring, even though it's not difficult, you're not going to get much of a gain for the extra work and cost of the spring. If you want to do a custom spring, make it as long as you can fit under the truck, or you can customize the length to work better with your tires and fender wells.

For the front, most spring makers just put the center pin in the center and call it good. If you want to move it forward, you can use an offset leaf (secret weapon to be announced later) to move it forward. Or to move the rear axle back. Beware that moving the front axle forward will tip the pinion down and may cause some drive shaft difficulty with an 8" lift.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
  5. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Apr 12, 2000
    Stephen - can you tease us like that??? [​IMG]

Now that you've mentioned the offset leaf - you gotta tell us the details! [​IMG] I've been thinking about this for a while, but of course I want to learn from your experience and expertise.

Seriously, I want the move the front axle forward and rear axle rearward on my K5.

Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205