Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flip with air bags?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Arizona_Mike, May 7, 2001.

1. Arizona_Mike

Arizona_Mike Registered Member

Hi all, I am new to this forum and want some input on what I have been doing to my rig I have been working in a air ride system for the rear suspension of my rig. Here it is. I got some input from some other forums about the Revolver shackles and after some thought I decided against them. By not using the Revolvers I do not have the problem of articulation with the rear spring mount and the best part of it is this also saved me $185. + S&H. I have taken the truck for a few jaunts to test the ride and handling characteristics and I am very pleased with the outcome. On washboard roads I feel nothing but I can hear the washboard on the tires. I can raise and lower the system without putting any more stress on the springs because the double shackles are able to open and close with the truck height. I am also going to incorporate an on board air system to be able to inflate or deflate each airbag independently by two, three way rocker switches. To do this I am using air solenoids, and also connect this to my alarm system with relays so I can raise and lower the truck with the use of the two extra buttons on my alarm remote control. I obviously have too much time on my hands and I think the mind-expanding drugs that were so prevalent in the early seventies have something to do with these convoluted ideas I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get 4 1/2" of adjustable lift from the airbags and 4 1/2" of lift from the new flip shackle mounting brackets. I have no lift blocks on my axle now and that is an other advantage to this setup. The 2 piggybacked shackles when in the full open position limit the amount that the airbags can be stretched. The airbags are the firestone 224C rated at 3150 lbs. each. I got them for free from Valley Spring in Phoenix as the owner wanted to see what and how I was going to do it. I plan on getting a two needle single air pressure gauge from the truck junkyard so I can monitor the air pressure in each bag. Also use a relay to run the compressor so the pressure sensor switch is just used to activate the compressor relay and not burn out the sensor switch. Also install a mini LED light off this relay so I will know when the compressor is running. A good psi that inflates the bags at the height I need is about 50 psi. This is also a low psi for a very comfortable soft ride. The air solenoids go for about $75. each, check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.truckn.com>www.truckn.com</A> . (Not the price I bought them for) and you need two for each bag, one to let air in and one to let air out. I could run two bags off of one solenoid and thereby only needing 2 solenoids instead of 4, but I want individual control of each bag and this also eliminates air transfer from one bag to the other during cornering. So what do you think? Any suggestions? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Mike, I like what I see. I would like to talk to you. I'm in Tucson and will call or email your choice. bill@a-tron.net

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

CONVOLUTED ideas........funny funny.......double convoluted airbags

4. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I think all those days you get off from being in the fire department has let your mind run a little wild. Have you been wearing your mask when you go into the burning houses? Just kidding around. I like the idea of the double shackle. Its cheap and easy to repair on the trail. I would think that the airbags would limit the rear droop though. If you don't do much hard wheeling, then I think its a pretty cool idea.

GOT ROCKS?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Very nice setup! That is real "out of the box" thinking! Now you need to ramp it and tell us how it works.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you have any driveshaft vibration problems when it is at different hights.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The only problem I see is adjusting ride height is going to adjust pinion angle, beyond that, it looks like it would work fine. Axle wrap might be a problem, it is usually is with any goofy shackle setup.
    You also loose part of the carrying capacity of the airbag, so for carrying a load, the bag is best off on the axle, but that's obviously not the goal here.
    I've seen some pics of a similar system except they used a hyd. cylinder to adjust the shackle mounting point to create a ride height change.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD