Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flipping a 14ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Feb 14, 2002.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

collecting parts for a suspension and axel upgrade. was thinking why can't I flip the rear axle over for a high pinion? other than the mounting pads being wrong( which can be changed) why would it not work. driveshaft rotation should be the same. Or am I just missing something? this would be on a 14 full floater

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Your wheels will turn the opposite direction if you flip it.Reverse will be drive and the forward gears will be reverse.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually , drive rotation would be backward.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Are you sure... I'm trying to picture it in my mind... if I flip the axle... it'd be like the drive shaft flipping the axle.... and stopping it half a turn and then continuing to turn... Maybe I am missing something ... Course I did work 6 hours today and install my lift... so... I am tired...

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Don't picture the driveline..picture the tire turning.
    just twirl your finger like as if it was the tire...now flip it over..see it now is going backwards.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Yea you guy's are right. I drew it out on a piece of paper and it is opposite. I guess that's where rev. cut gears come into play. does anybody know if they make them? I've never seen them for a 14.

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Ok your right...
    I'm going to bed...

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

You know I looked pretty stupid sitting here twirrling my fingers around trying to flip my hands upsidedown...

Your not funny...

lol

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I was doing it too, LOL. The first time I tried it I would change direction as I flipped it,[​IMG] I would of been the first reply but I kept changing the rotation of my finger so I had to wait and see what others would say.. So I tried it again and yeah it doesn't work to flip the rear.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

So if I flipped the rear axle does it mean I'd have a really fast blazer, in reverse... like a three speed tranny for reverse...
    LOL

Cool...
    The Possibilities...
    Doesnt reverse have a great gearing... hmmm...

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yeah..probably start a new sport of backing in trailers at a high rate of speed,LMAO
    I think the world record is driving from LA to New York in reverse it was done in a 30's ford way back when...

<hr></blockquote>

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Not to mention that the fluid level would not be correct because all of it would run out the pressure relief hole at the top, or in your case the bottom.

**WARN**ing, Something winching this way comes! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>