Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flipping highsteer crossover arms around...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I often have ideas and miss little things that will make them impossible, so does anyone see why I couldn't flip flop my sky arms from side to side and run them in a "tie rod behind axle c/l" setup? I decided to dump conventional steering and am going with full hydro so the location of the drag link hole doesn't matter. I am going to move my axle 1.5" forward with zero rates on the 52" springs I already have so this is an option I'd like to entertain for future reference.

2. k5rocker

k5rocker Registered Member

Dana 44 or 60?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doh, 60, yeah that makes a big difference.

4. k5rocker

I was hoping so. I Don't know any reason why not as long as the Ackerman angle still works out when turning and nothing hits (calipers, etc.). Need to make sure the 4-bolt pattern is square with the spindle center line too. I did the same thing for a buddy with a 44 using custom arms and had all kinds of issues trying to find a place to reclock the caliper where it would fit.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

post up what you find as i have been considering the same thing, only using my ORD arms. i think it may work, how are you planning to mount you ram (single or double end)

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Aren't the TRE holes angled to compensate for the slope the the top of the kingpin is at due to the inclination? I would think swapping sides would make it twice as bad.:confused:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how they would point the same way towards each other just opposite side of the axle.

Planning single ended ram off the tie rod I have now.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

honestly i cant see any reason why it wouldnt work. the holes are square so the arms flip around, and as long as they dont hit anything (which it shouldnt casue there are plenty of kits that do this already) you should be fine

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you flip flop 'em as well as turn them around it'll be correct again.

Sled - I'm thinking of purchasing the second ORD arm and doing the same thing, except machining off the drag link hole just for uniformity. Let us know how it works out if you choose to go through with it.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

True, I guess my brain only did one of the two.:crazy: :doah:

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Just watch your spring clearance in the front.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking this isn't the best design. There will be a difference in turning force btwn directions due the difference in piston area (shaft area). I know it's common to use such cyls in hydro-assisted systems, but since you're going pure hydro why are you handicapping yourself?

If the arms have any Ackerman built into them, that will be out the window. It will actually now also be backwards. I'm not sure that it will matter unless you're going to drive it on hardball at speed.

13. k5rocker

I just did a check with an arm made of paper and the Ackerman angle is not reversed when trading sides with the arms, this will be a MAJOR problem as the inside tire will not turn far enough and will have to be plowed through terrain sideways. The angle of the hole will be correct, though. If the arms were just turned around and kept on the same knuckles the ackerman angle would be ok (inside the steering axis instead of outside) but would need a shorter tie rod and some correction for the angled tie rod holes.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know it is not the best setup, but there are a lot of pepole on Pirate running it and are perfectly happy with it. I forsee after while not caring for it and deciding I want to spend the money on a balanced double ended ram, load reactive valve, nice pump, etc. But by then I will likely be in a better place monetarily and be able to do. :wink1:

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just to stir the pot. Suicide Sally, the "$170,000" buggy, is currently running a single ended ram.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I noted that as well

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

wtf, 170k for a buggy? Damn, somebody has more money then they know what to do with.:bow: