Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flipping my Lid.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Aug 30, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Is it true that if the (lid cover) on the air cleaner housing is flipped exposing the air filter, will this give you more power with the TBI fuel injection or confuse the computer? I am currently using the K&N filter in my truck........

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I tried this a few weeks ago. It made my truck louder, but not really faster and it may have hurt performance because it was just sucking in hot air. The factory way probably is better for performance because it sucks it from outside where the air is colder (just not in Texas) than the air in the engine compartment. If you want to det better performance get a cold air induction kit.

90K5

3. Mud Bath

Mud Bath Registered Member

I think it just makes your filter dirty faster

4. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I tried that and I couldn't get the stupid hood shut on my truck.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On the older trucks (like 75)it helps because they have such a small opening for air and it's already sucking hot air anyway. Best recent mod I did to the 75 was putting a 85 air cleaner on and running the snorkle up to the grill like the newer models. Much more noticable gain than I got from flipping the lid. It helped with a ping problem as well as pepped the truck up on the hwy.
    I'm a Supra owner also and one of the guys did some playing around on a Dyno and proved how much power sucking hot air can rob. Everybody said that a had to mod was to install a K&N FIPK. Thats one of them big cone filters and used instead of the stock air box but it sucks air out of the engine compartment. The guy did a Dyno run with that and the stock air box with a paper filter that pulled air from some dead space under the headlights and actully had like 10 more HP at the top end.
    The lesson here is where the air is comming from is just as important as how much your moving. GM did the right thing by putting the air intake up in the grill. Just be sure to pop the snorkle hose off and tuck it behind the battery if your playing in deep water.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/