Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flood Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79 K5, Sep 29, 2000.

1. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

Haven't posted in a while. Thought I'd run my situation by you guys. I got the Blazer stuck in the rain over a month ago and had to leave it for the night. When I came back the next morning I found that the rain waters had risen to the TOP OF THE FRONT SEATS! Needless to say, I had LOTS of water in every place imagineable. I changed all the fluids, filters and gaskets, along with the plugs, and starter (which was sticking bad). When I finally got the plug wires in the right order I poured some gas in the carb. and fired her up. It burned all the gass in carburetor and shut off. I replaced the fuel filter (which I forgot about initially).... same result. I pulled the gas tank off, drained it, cleaned it out, and added fresh gas.... same result. I checked the new filter and it was damp with gas, so I'm assuming the fuel pump is working. WHY WON'T IT RUN!? Any ideas?
    If I get it running, I'll be looking for a new or rebuilt front drive shaft. Anybody got one? ('79 Cheyenne, NP203).

Jesse
    '79 K5 (new nick name ... Submarine)

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I bet it needs primed!! I had this problem when I swapped to an electric pump!!!!

Get a hand operated siphon from Wal-Mart($2.96) and put it on the main line up by the carb. The siphon until you get gas and then hook everything back up and try it...( Or for a siphon you can use an outboard boat siphon ball)

I had mine down under with the water over the part of the seat where your arse goes. It was over the t-case shifter and the CB mounted under the ash tray... I had to stand on the seat or sit out the window to keep my arse dry!! All I did to get it running was pull out and clean the plugs and blew the water out of the cylinders. Then after a few stalls it ran fine!!!
    I changed all the fluids, plugs, cap, rotor when I got home..

Try priming the fuel since you empptied the tank and the lines, it is problem not getting enough fuel.. Mine would suck a tiny, tiny bit just enough to wet things, but would not run!!!!

Oh and BTW, my CB was a Cobra. It was completely underwater and on, when I got it out, I replaced the fuse the next day and it still works fine!! I think it was a true Cobra and not one of the Cobras made by Maxon and Kraco..
    Let me know if this helps!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -> http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is it possible you still have water in the fuel lines? If the motor runs on the gas you pour in and then quits it would seem to me that whatever the pump is pulling through the lines might be contaminated with water and therefore won't burn.
    Is the fuel pump working? After it quits running, if you manually open the throttle do the accelerator pump jets spray fuel? Could the carb still have water in it?
    HTH

Rene

[​IMG]

4. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

Hey man. I just came in from syphoning gas through the lines. I hooked the syphon hose up to the gas line right where it leads into the fuel filter and carb. I wnet ahead and syphoned out about half a gallon. The gas looked pretty clean. I added more to the carb and same result. It started but cut off after burning the gass I added.

Is the loine coming into the carb supposed to be crimped at all? It's a steel line and needs to bend around a lot. Right before reaching the carb it has to make a sharp right. Right there where it curves, it's crimped a bit. I guess this could be hampering the gas from flowiong freely?

Or could it just be my fuel pump? I have no idea what to do now.

-Jesse

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

To test your pump, take the fuel line off again and crank the engine over like you are trying to start it for a little bit. This way you can see if there is fuel shooting out and if the pump is working.

Have you looked at the filter in the carb? It may be plugged....

Where are you putting fuel into the carb at? if this is a Quadrajet, pour about a spray can cap full of fuel down the small tube that protrudes from the top of the carb towards the front, this will fill your fuel bowl. If you are just puring gas into the butterflies, this may be why it is only running for a few seconds. I also had this problem when I was getting mine running. The fuel bowl was filling for soem reason and I had to manually fill it a few times and the it was fine.

First try the line off and pump testing trick, then if you get fuel, check the filter right where the main line goes into the carb(if a Quadrajet), then if all is well, fill the carb through the tube on top...

As far as the crimped line. I had one for a few years on mine that had a crimp in it, and mine still ran fine as long as the crimp isn't closing it off too much... However Summit and most part stores sell small tubing with the 90 degree bends in it...

Let me know how these work!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com