Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flooding Truck Avenger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Jul 22, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

Okay, this is my second truck avenger. THe first one had a bad gasket and was flooding. I have this second one and every so often, maybe like once every three weeks it will flood badly out of the vent tube. I will tinker with the floats(lower them) then i drive it, then my floats are too low, like the floats are getting stuck. I had a fuel pressure regulator inline right before the carb and the problem was still there. Now i am getting fuel running out of somewhere on the bottom. I notice my gasket was soaked with gas. I took of the carb and when i hold it and barely rock it side to side i have fuel running from the bottom of the secondaries, but i can't tell where. I also have fuel running out of the primaries too out of some where, it's not the venturis though. I have no idea what it is. Please help and any advice will be appreciated. I am going to go put it back on my truck and play with the floats again. I do have a filter and a pressure regulator. I am so confused:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like your floats are sticking or something isn't letting the needle seat. Could your tank be really full of junk? If it is you could be getting crud in between the needle and seat not letting them seat.

I've know of some people running 2 fuel filters.

When my secondary floats were sticking open on an old carb, I had fuel dribbling out the secondary venturis while the truck was running.

Your float level should be just below the sight plug. I don't use the little window things; I pull the plugs and adjust them till the fuel is at the bottom of the hole. On a truck avenger, you could go a little lower for off-road use.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

double check your fuel pressure

4. jaredmajor

I figured out my floats on my secondaries were way high. SO i go to adjust them while my truck is running, and it dies with still half a tank of gas, so now my fuel pump is shot. Could that have been causing spuratic fuel pressure levels maybe? I don't know, but i will update when i get a new fuel pump on.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes its possible and likely in your case since you had two different carbs have the same problem. Is this a mechanical fuel pump? If so make sure when it went out it didn't dump gas into your oil

6. jaredmajor

Ok, so i went and got a new fuel pump(mechanical) and this brought up a whole nother question i have asked before. I have an extra tank plumbed in by the PO. My tank is over half full becuase i filled it up the same day it quit running, but now when i take off the feed line into the fuel pump, it was completely dry. I dumped some gas in there then hooked it back up and turned it over. it fired until all of the gas was gone out of the line. SO now i think there is something in my fuel line or in my tank blocking fuel flow. The sending unit on these trucks(1978) is for the fuel gauge and nothing else? I am lost, somebody please help.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i have played with my 78 tanks so much that it is tiresome...

the sending unit only is the float and allow fuel to be picked up... not like the 96 jimmy i got rid of.... the sender was the float, fuel pump and all kinds of other stuff....

not sure if that is what you were asking but yes... the tank only houses the float and fuel pickup line....

you could just run a hose into a 1 gallon jug as a temporary solution... and see if the truck runs fine...

we did that with my motor on a engine hoist... boy that was fun... rev it and the motor swung a bit... :haha:

8. jaredmajor

haha, yeah those are the exact answers to my questions. I found out it was the selonoid or what ever that is to switch between the two tanks. I had an inline filter i just used as a connecter and bypassed it so i am only running off of one tank. So that problem is solved, i just need to find out if it's still flooding now.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah those switches can play tricks on you pretty good..

I replaced mine years ago.. thought i took the hoses off and put them back in the correct order... I had 2 lines that went to the engine... 2 to each tank... 1 as vent and 1 as fuel line....

well I was driving and couldnt believe how bad of mpg I was getting.... so I switched to my empty tank it it was 1/2 full.. seems that however I hosed it up.... I was running fuel off the tank but also filling my other tank at the same time :haha:

10. jaredmajor

so it was the secondary floats, lowered them quite a bit. Ran good for a while, then last night went out for some light wheeling. I hit this water hole and it bogged down real hard and now the secondaries are extremely high again. I have lowered them to the point that i have to take of the screw and adjusting nut and do it by hand becasue the adjusting nut doesn't catch anymore. Now the paper gasket for that is trashed to and now it's leaking gas out the top as well. This is getting real old and i don't know what to do.

11. jaredmajor

Nobody else has had any kind of problems with there floats? Somebody please help me.

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Have you tried contacting Holley tech? They've been helpful for me in the past. I wonder if it was something from the factory, like something's missing or not installed properly.

13. jaredmajor

I am going to try that tomorrow. I have the float set as low as it will go and it is at the right height now, i would like it a hair lower, but i have no more adjustment.