Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

floods it self after sitting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Sep 18, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

everytime i let my truck sit for a while it will flood it self without me even pressin the gas. ill go to turn it over and not even touch the gas and it'll do a little stumble, somtimes, then i might press the gas once, somtimes i dont i just keep turnin it over. and it wont start. even if i do press the gas and hold it, pump it. it dont matter it still wont start. and it smells like gas out the tail pipes. the only way i can start it is when i spray carb cleaner down the carb then it will fire right up. i dont get it???????

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Almost sounds like the needle and seat has some crap in it and the fuel flow isn't cutting off.

1. What kind of carb is it? What year?

2. Any other problems at idle or when driving?

3. Do you park on an incline?

3. down4thakrown

holley rebuild quadrajet thas only a couple of months old.
    when it idles at about 1100 rpms-1000 it will barley idle at 5-600rpms in park. with the timing at 11* advanced. and it will diesel when i shut it off no matter where the timing is. and no it's parked on pretty level ground

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Funny. The Holley rebuilt q-jet carb I have, has about 10k on it, the motor had other issues, rebuilt the motor, put my carb back on it, and get the same problem you have. Not wanted to fuel wash my new rings and wreck my motor, and realizing my inabiluty to diagnose a q-jet in a timly fashion, I took it to a carb shop, they called me within 30 minutes and said there was a hole in the bottom of my float bowl.
    Mabey yours is a different problem. The hole in mine could have been caused by the pre-rebuild backfiring constantly through the intake (sticky lifters, bad seats..). But I thought it worth mentioning.
    Not sure if the hole was where holley has gunked up the bottom of the q-jet where they somtime leak or in a different place, I'll ask when I pick the truck back up tommorow though.

5. down4thakrown

alright, thx. sounds like thas what it could be too. it seems to flood it self with out even touchin the pedel.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Mine was hard to start and blew heavy black smoke for 3-5 seconds after start, criusing seemed ok, no black smoke, but you could tell it wasn't running the way it should, idle wasn't so great, hot start was worse than cold start.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had no luck with a Holley Rebuilt from Lopers , wasted 230 bucks several years back .

I bought a quality rebuild from a reputable shop , and have had no problems , just like the original one ( which needs throttle shaft bushings ) ..... it runs great :D

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If its a Q-jet,,,,

It probably has leaky well plugs in the base of the carb,or a hole in the float bowl as suggested already..leaky well plugs are fairly commom on quadrajet carbs--kits available to fix them,or you can epoxy them... :crazy:

9. down4thakrown

are those the plastic lookin things hangin down where the primary ports are?