Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor boards??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BamBamblazer, Jun 27, 2002.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 84 blazer that i need to replace the floor boards in, and i was wondering if anyone had made their own floors or if i would be better to buy the aftermarket parts? I feel that i could use a little thicker metal than repro parts and actualy do it cheaper. But than again one of you may have horror storys about tryin to do this same thing. Any suggestions or hints will help.

Thanks in advance /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I used an old hood for my sheet metal to do my floor worked great.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

go to lmc and get your floor boards they are direct fit you will be glad you did. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'd do it yourself. I had holes in the floor behind the front seats and had to make my own. Then a year later, LMC comes out with the pieces I need, d'oh! I took the opportunity to use 1/8" box tubing to replace my rotted subframe. The cross member where the front of the rear floot bolts to is one long piece of box tubing! I'm kinda proud of that. Part of my homemade subframe went from the body mount by the driver and passenger seats, and welded to behind the rocker area. Before I put the sheet metal over it, I put all my weight on one foot and stood on it. I weigh 200 pounds and it didn't even budge. Now imagine what that area can do with the sheet metal welded over it and tied into the rest of the supports.

For small holes, I just cleaned the area up, put down this expensive rust inhibitor (corroless), used body glue (REALLY expensive) and a little welds to be really sure. Then I ground the welds smooth and used a pinch of filler to smooth things out. Then I shot spray-on bedliner on it, looks killer! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

18 gage steel is cheap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Buy the rockers. If the suports are gone then you can make new ones if you have access to a break or you can make it out of 1x2 box . I made mine out of 1x2 box. Hit the communities link and their is a picture of the subframe I made for my 75 some where in there.