Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor Jack goes up but not down...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Avery4jc, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

anyone else ever have this problem? I just got it a couple months ago and have used it off and on since then...now I wen't outside the other day and I lifted my 14ff up in place while I was taking the axle shafts out and it wouldn't go back down...I twisted the handle and it didn't do anything...I left the handle in that spot and after about 20 minutes it finally went down...

Weird...I haven't taken a good look at it yet but has anyone else ever had this problem?

-Avery

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

its a vac lock, it prob wont happen again...

3. Avery4jc

ok...after using it time and time again tonight it finally decided to work....and yeah the truck fell about 6 inches onto the jackstands (thank god) and smashed my hand up pretty good with the rear bumper in the process....from then on it's been working...it goes down really fast but it works.

-Avery

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its 2 moths old , warranty it .

I would not be using something that failed to work right the first time , and smashed my hand and dropped the truck too quick the second .

5. Avery4jc

yeah...I don't know if they'll take it back...I'd have to dig for the receipt if I even still have it (I normally save everything but I don't remember where I put this one...)
    Plus I don't have the original box...assumed that since it worked the first month that I was fine to toss the box.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you can find the recepit , the bad one can go in the replacements box . This is why I save everything important . I didn't get wise until my mid 20's . At one time I would gotten mad , thrown it out and bought a new one .

Use customer service , the people there get paid to listen to you blow up :thumb:

7. Avery4jc

Yeah surprisingly enough I'm pretty good about that kind of stuff but lately I've been buying so much that I just put them in a safe place so that I'll know exactly where they'll be if I ever need it...rofl
    But then I can't remember where that is...I have a big folder with all my truck related stuff in it...everything from DMV, smog stuff, oil changes, even the history of the truck...the previous owner's stuff....I basically have the past 6-7 years of this truck paper by paper...I should start finding my receipts and add them to the collection.

-Avery

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

what kind is it?

9. Avery4jc

It's just the little 3 ton from Harbor Freight.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Play dumb!!

What do I do when I lost the sales slip for a now defective peice of merchandise??..simple..

I go buy another one,put the defective one back in the box,and use the "new" sales slip!..say "I just bought this POS a few days ago--I want a refund!"...usually works like a charm..

I've bought several things from Harbour Freight that had problems..one was a small "crane" you put on a truck bed..it leaked a few days after I got it,but still worked OK as long as I kept ut full of hydraulic fluid..I called them and told the lady my dilema--she said they had some problems with the jacks on them,but had no more repair kits for them--"back ordered!"...but they sent me an entire new crane instead!!..

I was 99% sure they were just going to send me another jack for it,but I guess they goofed!..:laugh: --I was not dissapointed!..I bet they will stand behind your jack... they are pretty good about things like that..:crazy:

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Warrenty or replace that this ASAP. A jack is nothing to be taking chances with, it fails, you could be seriously hurt, or worse.

Then who would we rail on in the lounge ....

12. Avery4jc

It hasn't given me any problems since that one night...I WD40'd it a lot and I think that's what it was...upon closer inspection it wasn't that the jack wasn't working like it was supposed to it was that I couldn't turn the handle enough to engage the gears...after I lubed it up it has been fine.