Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor liner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Oct 11, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few posts about rhino and herculiner. I just pulled out my old carpet and took care of all the rust issues. Has anyone tried the rubberized truck bed liner they sell at Wal-Mart for $40 a gallon? I don't remember the brand name. I was thinking about trying to roll some on before I laid my new carpet to keep away future rust for a while.

2. georgiared84

Didn't get a response yet, so I found the name of the product. It's called Duplicolor truck bed liner and runs about 40 a gallon.I was wrong, it's not the rubberized stuff. I'm not sure what I want to use yet, but I think I'm going to leave the carpet out. I plan on doing the interior at home, so I wanted to use something I can roll on. I did a search, and in a few of the posts I've read about herculiner and por15. Where can I get Herculiner, and what is por15? I want to put in something I can wash dirt off of easily, but that will hold up. I don't want anything too abraisive, because my kids are always climbing in and out of the truck.
    Thanks

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

por-15 is a very good rust preventive paint..but also expensive..like around 100 a gallon. but it works very well...stands for Paint Over Rust...which you can it stops rust right in its tracks and keeps it from coming back. and for a liner i would recamend herculiner..ive heard it holds up really well and its good for a completly hosable interior..but it may be a little scratchy im not sure..if you dont want your kids climibing in it all the time..just raise the truck more! lol..hope this helps some..

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of fixing holes/cracks and rust in my floor. Where we bolted metal plates in we fiberglassed over it with "kitty-hair" and then we've bought a gallon of duplicolor bed liner. And I already used to have polyvinyl carpet that im gunna put over it, and then get undercoat at ziebart.

5. georgiared84

Well, actually, I want the kids climbing in and out. This is what we use to get to our fishing spots, and is also one of my daily drivers. Got to bring the kids up right.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm well you could put some carpet in it just to throw down then when they are not in and out or whatever you could just take it out..just like a mat or something..

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put that in my truck and wish i had used something like line x. the dupi color takes about 2 days to dry enough so you can put a floor mat in it and drive. its very thin so you will have to put down at least 4 coats. i guess its not bad but something thicker and harder will go into my truck in the future. if you want look at a post i have about a cheap mod, it has a pic of how it looks.

8. sapper

[​IMG]
    here is that pic

9. georgiared84

About how many gallons did it take to do the entire floor?

10. georgiared84

One more question, Is it abrasive like the herculiner?
    Thanks for the help.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The duplicolr is nothing more than thick paint. I used some of that stuff to seal up the insides of my doors and it worked fine for that but after messing with it I sure wouldn't use it for a bed liner. Hurculiner is a much better product for a DYI. Hurculiner can often be found for around $80 a gallon on sale these day's and it's four times as good as the Dulicolor.

12. sapper

it was about 1 gallon for a few coats. no its not abrasive the roller is what gives it texture because its hook and loop kind so it wont go on smooth but Grim is right its only thick paint, if you used a regular roller or brush it would be smooth.