Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

floor project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rooster53, May 16, 2003.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

What's happening everybody. Sunday I start my floor project on my 1988 K5. I'm replacing the floor from the firewall to the tailgate. I will start with the bed area because its the worst. I have to replace the tailpan, both tailgate posts, and the entire bed floor. My question is should I remove the hardtop while I repair theses areas or should I leave the hardtop on.
    Thanks Everybody,
    Tom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i'd remove it to give you more room to work.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Once you start cutting out the floor, there isn't anything to hold up the sides. I'd take the top off just to make it lighter to hold things up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Take it off. And good luck to you, I am pretty much doing the same thing except my posts are good. I found a whole tub for 75$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but my front floors aren't all bad just need inner rocker for passenger side and the floorpan and body brace for drivers side. Will be doing mine over memorial day weekend.

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I picked up a bed floor from GM last fall and never got to it, roughing it up and spraying it top and bottom with por-15 was as far as I got. After seeing the description in the technical section of the home page Floor Removal I was wondering if leaving the top on would help to keep the bed square?
    Whatever you do post pictures, so I can work up the nerve.
    Good Luck!

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Once you start cutting out the floor, there isn't anything to hold up the sides. I'd take the top off just to make it lighter to hold things up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that the top would help sturdy things up then. My advice is to leave it on. If the sides do indeed lose the support that is holding them up once the floor is cut, the top will keep the sides from bowing in or out on you.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

pics

I used a 4x4 to hold the fenders up and apart, no top
    just make sure you measure so you know where to put the sides back together to the tailpan.

send me some pics when you replace the tailgate posts!