Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor repair panels...shouldn't they fit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by B75k5, Mar 5, 2002.

1. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Floor repair panels...shouldn\'t they fit?

OK I know I posted prior question in the wrong area...so let me try again. You do know it was just a test to see if everyone reads all pages.....not really...I must of had a brain fa-t. Here are my comments and questions:
    I know that I can no longer purchase GM repair sheet metal for floor panels for my 75 K5. But why wouldn't all or part of a later year K5 floor panel work, yes I know my currect floor is flat and the avail panel isn't flat...but why isn't it doooooable? Im short anyway so wouldn't I just be helping me sit higher up...I am going to replace my seats anyway so could I just update seats to later year Blazer that fits to the replacement floor panel??? Then next trick is to find someone to cut out and replace floor panels and install new GM rockers I previously purchased.
    Or should I just use aftermarket sheet metal to repair the bad spots and attach that to new rockers? I really need your recommendation....Thanks in Advance...
    Harry Escondido, Ca

2. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Re: Floor repair panels...shouldn\'t they fit?

Was this posting really that bad? Someone else must have at least looked into it? I read everyday of all these great idears so someone must have some comments...or maybe I just need to forget it and just repair using my present floor. I was just thinking....floor panels for later years should still be avail from GM and with a little cutting wouldn't it fit and be better than an aftermarket panel? Just a thought but maybe I'am all wet!

3. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Harry, have you done a search on this subject within this forum? This topic has been discussed ALOT.
    I think most people have gone with the JC Whittney or LMC floors and they worked fine.
    If you are going to do this job you have a ton of work a head of you, so good luck
    And post the results or at least take pictures of your progress
    Also lets hope you not all "wet" when you fire up that welder /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Harry:

I'm in the process of replacing the driver side floor panel on my 1975. I have been workng on it a little each night. I used an LMC panel I bought before Christmas. I might as well heave bought some heavy guage sheet metal. I have had to cut the LMC panel up so much to make it fit, I think I may have wasted money on the panel. It is pretty thin too. I also bought the body support bracket from LMC and it worked well. I needed that part more than the floor. I'm going to do the passenger side eventually and I think I will just replace the floor support and buy some steel for the floor section.

I need to search the hard drive for some pictures I took when I cut out some of the rust. I'll post them soon.

Scott.

5. CooknwithGas

6. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the inputs and photos. I haven't taken out my carpet so I don't know if mine will be as bad as photos. The rust I do see is where rocker and floor meet, thats why I purchased new GM rockers. Someone at work gave me tel number of metal company that he says I could get sheets of metal and patch it in. I have one other place to check on repair panels...a company in Huntington Beach, Ca...they deal with everything..might take a drive on saturday and check it out. Yes, I was planning of taking photos of every step once I have all the things I need. Again, Thanks for the input and I will do a search and read them...sorry didn't know I could do it until you said it and I started looking around. Thanks again. Harry

7. CooknwithGas

I finally got around to taking a picture of the panel. This is only partially complete, but it is where I am right now in the process.

http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000016899/1000016899_38200221635PM0.965069.jpg

The repair panel was much bigger when I got it, but had to cut it up to make it fit. Let me know how your repair comes out. I'll send another picture when I get it all done and painted up.

Scott.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol none of your links or workin.

Bryan