Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor repair

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Apr 10, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

My floor has a decent amount of rust next to the door. Does anyone know of a company that sells this section of the floor? I plan on adding a full cage soon and I need to mount it in that area. Also, who should I but new rocker panels from? Thanks
    Jeff

2. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Same here. I need the same sections.

Answers?

Thanks,

Harry

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Just about all of the 67-72 parts places (LMC, JC Whitney, etc) have the cab floor halves but they run about $40 each… which might seem like a lot if you only want to patch a small area. From what I have seen, they all carry the same stuff. The drag is that if your floors are rusted out next to the doors, you most likely have cab supports and inner rocker panels that are rusted through. Both of these provide a lot of structural integrity in that area. If you are replacing the rockers, you can replace the inner rocker panels easily enough. The cab supports are a real bitch to replace though, because you have to remove the rocker boxes to get to them.

In addition to the cab floor front halves, there are also separate “cab floor outer” pieces that replace the outer rear half of the floor. Both the front and outer pieces are formed to include what constitutes the inner rocker panel, so if you go that route you don’t need to get inner rocker panels.

All in all, I think you have to size it up and determine how far you want to go with it. If you are going to replace the rocker panels anyway, I would at least go with the front floor halves and patch over the top, wrapping around and down the inner rocker panel. If you want to go for broke, you can rip the whole thing apart and replace entire sections but it’s a lot of work.

I bought the cheap replacement rocker panels (~$25 ea) and then sent them back because I thought they looked flimsy. Then I paid the big bucks to get original NOS pieces and discovered that they were really about the same quality. Of course I installed the NOS parts and saved the old dealer stickers for the scrapbook. Pricey stickers.

The following old post on this message board has a few (poor quality) pics of the rip it all out approach.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=firstgen&Number=101502&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post101502>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=firstgen&Number=101502&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post101502</A>

4. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Hey Rod,

Where do you live? I'll buy the beer and pizza.

Harry

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Hey Harry,

Evergreen, CO. Not too far. Just head East on I-80 and hang a right on I-25… You can’t miss it! You’re talkin’ the right currency, now we just have to settle on denominations!

Doug