Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor rot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Jun 14, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Well today I was taking off my running boards and looking under the truck found a few items that were amiss.

1. The steering stabilizer had come loose. Rather than trying to F with it I just bought a new Skyjacker one from the local 4x4 shop and will install it tomorrow. Although I don't know how badly it is needed the truck drives fine.

2. The transfer case is leaking not just on the rear seal but also on the case itself, so its going to the tranny shop thursday for about $175 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. I have a BIG ass tranny cooler and its leaking like a mofo too, don't know if its the lines or the cooler, but there is enough around that it maybe causing my hot day uphill overheating problems so I need to fix that.

4. The BIG one and the real purpose of this post. I thought the truck was rust free like the rockers etc. But looking underneath on the rear bolts where the seats bolt into are some BIG ass cracks. like its about ready to go through completely. Doesn't even look like rust looks like a 700 pound dude sat down on them HARD. So is this a complete floor pan removal? IS there an easy way to do this or am I looking at having a shop replace the whole thing????

Thanks!

Still love my truck can't wait to get all this stuff fixed so I can jack it up and put some big meats on it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Sucks

KNow how ya feel. mine is spread all over a local body shop.

the floor boards were the pits. Replacing ell but the tranny tunnel

while you have it all apart, prime with self etching primer and eliminate the problem again down the road.

I decided to do the floor with spray on bedliner to eliminate the moisture trapping that the carpet does.

Luck dude

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So, there's no rust, just cracks? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. 89fullsiz

Well I haven't had a chance to really look at it but no it doesn't look like rust, I'm going to pull the carpet up after I get it back from the tranny shop and see how it looks from the top. I've seen old cars with rusted out floorpans and this doesn't really look like that. It looks like partical board that couldn't hold what you had screwed into it???? But from the top it may look more like rust. The floor pan is pretty flimsy though I can see how something could just break through.....

5. 89fullsiz

I'm thinking if it just holes where the seats go in maybe cutting the bad stuff out putting a thicker metal plate over it screwing it down then sealing it. Then paint it all with that rust inhibitor crap. That stupid or would it be a decent fix for a 6 in by 6in problem??

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i had the same thing on my truck and i just welded it up this weekend, BTW it workes better if you peel the carpet back before you weld, or you might just put a little hole in it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifi think the guy before me had a fat a$$ GF /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Clean off the underside with a wire wheel on your drill. You're going to want to eliminate the rust and seal it up anyway so you might as well just bite the bullet and clean it up. If it's just fatigued metal I'd probably just weld large 14 gauge patches in. I'd tack weld it all the way around the perimeter and also have holes in the patch to tack weld to the floor in the middle of the patch.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i diddent use a plate, probally should have though, i just put a jack under the crack, and closed the crack up and than welded it up worked good for me /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing. It cracked at the mounts. I had the floor replace. It did it again.
    I will just have it welded this time

10. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

From what I can tell cracks around the seat mounting holes is pretty common. Thats why most people that have cages tie in their seats to the cage and not the floor. I would just do like stated above and tack in some nice size plates and bolt to them and then stich weld the cracks closed.