Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Dec 10, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My long term goal is to go fully manual, sm 465. Until then I was going to swap in a floor shifter (might stay with it if I like It). But I have a few questions. First, I already have a manual colum to put in, where would the neutral safty switch go if I install a lokar shifter? Second, on a floor mount linkage shifter can you "feel" the gears when change them just like the colum shifter? And last, any opinions on floor shifters?

Thanks.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

We don't need no stinking "safety switch". Cable shifters are a whole lot better resonse/feel than the factory column shifter. And for mine, I used HURST Promatic2, tossed the B&M.:D

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a B&M QuickSilver that i'm thinking of using in mine. and i've got buddies who have used MegaShifters and Pro-Matics. i may just go with a cable actuated column shifter though.

if you're going to go with a cable operated floor shifter, go for one with a ratchet mechanism in it. most generally come with a reverse lockout too that will keep you (or your significant other/little ones in the case of an S.O.B. seat) from accidentally putting it into reverse while moving forward. we hooked the Megashifter in my buddy's '81 TA up to a neutral safety switch and to a backuplight switch, although its been 7 years since we did that, i cant remember how we did it now. oops.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Hey sry for the HiJack but i also would like some insight on the subject.

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Where`s ryoken when you need him:D

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You can ordernutral safty switches with all the aftermarket shifters, Lokar,B&M, etc. I had a hard time trying to get the Lokar mechanical linkage to set up correctly with my T-400. The cables are nice, don't need to worry about body flex and linkage problems, but, keep them away from the exhast and watch for tight bends.

Eric M.