Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floor shifter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Saw a Blazer today that was an auto w/ a Hurst Floor shifter. Looked awesome and was easy to reach without bending over too or at all to shift. I'm sure that it WAS NOT a manual valvebody. Has anybody done this or have pics and info on it??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

BTW, I have a 700R4 tranny with a stock valvebody

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine did it in his 85 f-150 if i remember correctly it was a megashifter for a truck

3. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

I have the truck megashifter in my blazer and i love it

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I installed a floor shifter in mine. It was easy to install and is easy to reach....hold on and Ill take a picture of it.

[​IMG]

Thats the best I can do tonight. I still have to install the trim. Its a z-gate shifter and I will never own another one, they suck for wheeling/street use.

5. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I have the B&M Quicksilver right beside my seat in easy reach. I am building a center console around it so no pics yet.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I installed a floor shifter in mine. It was easy to install and is easy to reach....hold on and Ill take a picture of it.

[​IMG]

Thats the best I can do tonight. I still have to install the trim. Its a z-gate shifter and I will never own another one, they suck for wheeling/street use.

[/ QUOTE ] I really like the B&M Starshifter. They look just like the Megashifter, but are more street friendly to use. B&M Starshifter

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the Star Shifter which I am installing in the next day or so. Trying to find some brackets to adapt a cable shifter. They were very common on Firebirds and Camaro's.

8. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

How hard was it to convert from the column shift? I'm interested.

9. burban33

They are very easy to convert. Basically mount the shifter, run the cable, and pull off the old linkage.

10. 4x4dreamer

tempting...but 161 bucks...hmmmmmmm

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Did you leave the stock column shifter in place? Or did you modify to control the radio volume or something?

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It is a simple bolt on installation. You have to remove 2 transmission pan bolts and install a bracket to hold the cable. Then drill a 1" hole for the cable to go through and 4 bolt holes for the shifter its self and then adjust the cable. The stock shifter arm is held in place by a pin that can be driven out with a drift and hammer. I hooked my reverse lights up to some rear facing flood lights and run them off of a toggle so I dont have a reverse light wire hanging around, but it comes with a switch and you could hide the wire under the carpet if you have carpeting (unlike me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

13. 4x4dreamer

Doesn't really server a purpose other than looks, does it? I still might do it, but not this week...Anybody think of another reason?

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have a manual valve body so I have to use a floor shifter. For a more normal vehicle the floor shifter does the same thing as a column shifter but looks better IMO.

15. 4x4dreamer

I have buckets, so I'm not losing leg room...only problem I see is reaching around it to get to the transfer case shifter.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Less linkage to deal w/ during a body lift, assuming the new new shifter controls the trans and not the stock linkage. The stock floor shifter on my old M/C SS just worked the normal column linkage, what a waste-typical GM /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It does serve a purpose, but how much depends. Shifts are more positive. You get features like reverse lock-out and such so you don't miss-shift when in panic mode. You can change shift paterns like reverse-manual valve bodies. And probably most important for GM's flexy frames, you have less problems with getting it into the right gear, and keeping it there. With the column shift, the flex can be bad enough (especially with bad mounts) to actually change gears on you or even bind it up till you can't shift at all (or so I'm told, never experienced that one).

18. 4x4dreamer

YAY, arguements for the plus side!! Damn, I guess I just HAVE to do it now. Ain't that a B!tch?

19. 4x4dreamer

The starshifter won't work with the 700r4...so I have to go with the B&M Light Truck Megashifter...seems to be my only choice.

20. burban33

Check out the Hurst Promatic 2