Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floorboard patch panel

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Stickseler, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Is this the elusive under seat floorbord patch panel?? Its to cold to go outside and measure.

Description : Floorboard section, cab, under rear seat, right, Blazer, 39 inches x 30 inches with 7 inch flange

Pic:

[​IMG]

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sure looks like it...

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sure looks like it...

[/ QUOTE ]

since thats exactly what I just said to myself, I'll second that... the measurements sound about right I just chopped my floors out for diamond tread panels.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I've liked the Diamond Plate Idea for a while...got any pics??

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

where'd you find that panel?

6. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've liked the Diamond Plate Idea for a while...got any pics??

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Still getting the garage cleaned out so I can get th truck in the garage! the weather caught up with me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Goodmark enterprises carries them also.
    for some reason they are like $90, seems well overpriced, but i guess when not everyone makes the piece, you can do that.

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

has anyone tried these yet? need one for the passenger side of my '90 and these look like an option as long as they arent cheapy thin stuff

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I thought it fit like FU*K%N SH#T!!!!!
    I tried to use one in my 87. The 86-91 foor boards are different than the 85 older. On the newer trucks, the seat mounts are recessed into the floor pan. On the replacement, They are raised like the older floors. Not a problem If you have the older floor. Also, The hole for the passenger seat rear catch (which mine didn't have!) doesn't have enough meat to support the catch. my fllor came with the hole, leaving me a gap to try and fill. The lip that folds down to meat the rocker rails was WAY off. We had to flatten the lip out and use some other scrap to put it together and have a lip to weld the edges with. We managed to make the drivers side piece fit (not well) It also didn't fit to the front floor section they sent with it. I sent it back. wasn't worth the money!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I would have been ALOT better off just using a sheet and make my own!!

11. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I totally agree, had similiar trouble installing them in my 89. Better off using sheet metal and bending it into shape. The best price I found for these pieces is through a place called Brown's in Two Rivers Wisconsin. Phone # 1-800-558-7750. Reasonable shipping price as well. The price was about the same though as quoted above. The E-coat on them is also subpar. You would have to scuff and repaint to make the last. I replaced all my floors as well as cab mounts, which you better check as well. Most of the floor pieces can be fabricated which would save you alot of money. I remember the first floor patch I did in a vehicle was using the skin off of a old olds trunk lid. Cut it out and sledged it and bent it into shape. Worked just as well.

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm sure the truck lid was THICKER also!!

13. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

I replaced my floor with 16 gauge sheet metal just cut and hammered it to the old floor shape. added some flat stock for extra support and welded it in. Total cost 20 bucks and it fits better then the one I sent back! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, may just try to fab something up instead, anyone make any decent front pans?

as to the olds trunk lid, I can state with experience
    that STOP signs make a perfect floor pan for a 76 Olds
    cutlass, bend one "ear" and it fits perfectly.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif then again that was a
    long time ago, before I worked out my anger issues with
    authorative symbols /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember the first floor patch I did in a vehicle was using the skin off of a old olds trunk lid. Cut it out and sledged it and bent it into shape. Worked just as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
  16. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

I originally purchased LMC's pans. They sucked. (to thin) I ended up just buying some 1/4 inch and riveting it all in. It was a PITA to seal up all the edges but eventually got it right. The time it takes is the real pain. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This worked for me

[/ QUOTE ]

those look sweeet....you cut the old ones out and welded these in right, or just welded em in over the old ones? be interested in making me a set of those? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I took a piece of cardboard and make a templet. We then cut the plates out of 12 gauge with a plasma gun to fit. Because the seats recess into the pan, we cut 1/2" tube as spacers and tack welded them where the bolt holes to support it. I Por-15 the floors after cleaning up the rust and welding any cracks. The pans are just rivited in place to allow movement over the old floors (helps prevent oil canning) and so I can drill them out, remove and do additional repairs if needed. I put discriptions with each photo. It's much stronger than stock and I have had no problems. I hope this helps. It's pretty easy and cheap.
    Dave