Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

floorboard split on drivers seat mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wolfy87, Feb 3, 2004.

1. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

I know I've seen this on here before, but was unable to find it with the search feature. My '87 K5 has the floorboard split on the driver's seat mount which is growing larger with fatigue. (left rear mount of the seat). What is a good, strong fix for this? Never was a problem on my 82.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Friend of mine's 89 did the same thing under BOTH front seats at just about EVERY seat mount. What I did was drilled a 3/16" hole at the end of every crack (to help prevent the cracks from growing) then cleaned up the cracks and just welded them up really good from both the inside and outside. Has held up great so far.

3. jimbob91

jimbob91 Registered Member

Same thing on my 91. Stop drilled the cracks. Welded them up. Put another piece of sheet metal under the seat mount (pounded it in to conform)to give it some more strengh and spread out the weight. Working good so far.
    The guy I bought mine from was probably 280 pounds. I think over the years, he just gave the floor more than it could take... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif