Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floorboards...My Rusty Mess

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieGuy3, Feb 26, 2004.

1. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Hi all! LTNS, I've been off runnin my behind off, but anyway... Is anyone in the midst of replacing their floorboards or does anyone have pics of when you did yours? I have to replace my entire pan and am contemplating using sheet steel instead of the pre-stamped replacements, so any ideas I could borrow from all y'all and any dimentions would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You'll have no strength by going with a flat, sheet-metal floor. You'd have to make it pretty thick in order to get the kind of strength that stock floors have. jjlaughner (sp?) did his floor in diamond-plate (3/16" I think). That would work okay, but that's a fair amount of added weight.

Are you thinking about doing this because of cost?

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Yeah, mainly the cost... I have fab shop at my disposal that I can use for this, so other than the sheets of steel and however much time I spend on it, everything else is free. I was thinking of bending up my own footwells and stuff, so I was just lookin for an idea of what others have done. I mean everything in the truck is getting cut out, I think theres only about a 6"x6" square in the cargo area that isnt all funky, so fabbin up my own floor seemed not too bad of an idea.

4. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

I know your pain! I have just finished reenforcing the drivers rear seat mounts, passengers footwell, rear footwells and I am halfway done my bed from the seat back! I have hand cut every piece of metal from a sheet of 18G steel, except for the bed. Goodmark Ind. had bed floors (2 pieces) for $59 a side +sh. I agree you can save BIG bucks if you do some of the fab work yourself. BUT some of it is worth spending the money for, especially if it saves you time. I've found that some stuff you WILL have to fab yourself because noone makes it, like rear footwells!
    Happy Welding! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    Andy

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

my floor pics I used 1/8" diamond tread and made a whole new tailpan and subframe. I'm also going to be replacing the front floors with 1/16". They will sit inplace of the old floors right ontop of the rock sliders I'm putting in, and the 3x3" sq tube for the sliders I'm going to have some left over so I'm going to weld those to that area that hangs down under the front floors and to the slider (since they are the same thinkness of the slide the floor will sit on those). I hope that rebraces everything for now. This summer I'm adding a full cage, tieing into the new floors and sub frames to the body mount locations. If I get around to it I might start cutting the front floors out next week (I still need to order the 1/16th" diamond tread) /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif