Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

floorboards

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jun 16, 2000.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to replce rusted out floorboards, and what is the best material to replace it w/? please reaply
    thanks
    ConfederateK5

2. 73/75 k5

73/75 k5 Registered Member

I am in the process of doing the samething as you on my 73. Buy some rust repair floor panels from JC whitney or LMC. The panels pretty much cover from tranny hump to door seal(no lip for seal) and about a foot up towards the dash and to about the rear section of your seat bolts. You do have to drill new holes for your seats. And as for installing, cut and weld where you think needs replacing. Sounds easy but it's time consuming. You might be able to rivet the new panel but i prefer welding. Hope this helps.

later
    sean

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I agree with 73/75k5 but before installing new floorpanels look around I am not sure now much JC'S costs or LMC but Paddock has em for 25 a piece. Next I would repair what's left of your floorboard with POR15 floorboard repair kit, then etch and POR15 the new floorpan before installation so that there is less likelihood of needing to do that job ever again in the future. OH also find the leak that caused the rust in the ffirst place and fix that then try to eliminate insulation and carpet, they hold moisture. Yeah it'll be noisier but you can put down a thick rubber mat that should stop some of the noise then on a dry day after it has rained a lot pull the mat out and let the floor dry out.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

Just to add to mudfanatic idea, after fixing floors with POR15 kit paint it with a spray-on bedliner such as Herculiner. This will seal the floor against rust, act as sound deadner, and solve the moisture problem associated with factory floor insulation.

Mike