Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floors Galor!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC4x4, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

Anybody Have Any Ideas On Replacing The Rusted Floors In My K5 Blazer In The Rear End With Out Getting To Expensive?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've used old computer cases and I don't even remember what I used for my Blazer. Something heavy gauge, clean away all the rust and apply a rust sealer/ preventer, seam seal and screw the new panel on...Or you could spend thousands on welding in a new pan. But lets be realistic,it's not a $40,000 hot rod and monies tight...Did I mention I'm a cheap bastidge???

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Not only are you cheap, you're rearing your ugly head in the Garage more and more. What is UP with that?

-- A

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheep steel!..

More than one of my rotted 4x4's had floors and door bottoms made from old washer/dryers,refridgerators,filing cabinets,and galvanized heating ducts and stove pipe,all free at the metal pile at our local landfill..:D

One guy I know used a hot water heater's sheet metal cover to patch up holes in a pickup beds floor..he was using the tank to make a wood stove,and noticed the outer "skin" was pretty heavy gauge,and epoxy painted..figured WTH,its free!..he's also thinking of using some off more heaters to cover the roof of his barn,instead of roll roofing...and the insulation to insulate the "office" room!..which the stove will be heating!..:crazy:

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

does your budy watch the red green show on pbs.

6. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

That is awsome... where is he gettin all these hot water heaters. Sorry about gettin off topic.

7. diesel4me

free for the taking!..

I've gotten a few hot water heaters from our local landfill--the attendant there says if I got there at 7 am,there is usually at least half a dozen junked there about every morning, by heating contractors!..(I bet if you called one,they would gladly give you at least one!)..I make wood stoves out of them..

I see "free" ads on Craigslist for them all the time too..and scrapyards aren't that fond of anything with a tank,so they sell them for a few cents more than the scrap price per pound,so they don't have to deal with them..

They make good wood stoves,just beware of any galvanized ones--you'll have to burn off the zinc with several hot kindling fires outdoors ,and paint it with hi-temp paint before using it inside,or better yet,use a non-galvanized one instead,or use it outdoors..quite a few guys are using them for making biodiesel here too..

The outer skins makes a good cheap source of sheet metal..The guy I mentioned who plans to use it for metal roofing on his old barn ,had also scored several like new 10' lengths of galvanived stove or duct pipe 10" in diameter at the dump too--it made a sweet looking tin roof on his storage shed!...lie they say,waste not--want not!..and yes,I think he does watch the Red-Green show--I do too!..:D

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ummm... so why would you need to heat hot water? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that make it a steam engine or something? :D

9. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

If the women dont fine you handsom they will at least find you Handy

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Use expanded steel for the whole floor , and watch who you ran over :wink1:

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

run down a stop sign, then patch your floor with it. :haha: they are galvanized so it will resist rusting.

12. diesel4me

I've seen that!..

I've seen street signs used as floor patches...but now the signs here are made of aluminum!..and they'll cause it to rot worse from electrolosis!..:doah:

Steel street signs last about 2-3 winters here,then they just about fall off the post!..but those galvanized square posts with a zillion holes in them last forever,and the "U" shaped ones with flanges are a near perfect fit for the under bed cross supports on GM trucks!..:whistle:

13. chevysmithz71

chevysmithz71 1/2 ton status

I just got done forming and shaping 1/8 steel to my floors and it will definetly hold up. Will fit nice under the cage I will be attaching it to.

14. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

find a van with no windows cut the sheet metal off the sides or a old hood

fix it right and be done with it or half ass it and fix it over and over
    a sheet of sheet metal really doesn't cost that much you can weld it or if you don't have a welder you can screw it in and seam seal it