Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flopped a petti-bone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by o2bjimmy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Today at work there wasnt much to do so when my super seen me standing around he told me to get in the pettibone (big @$$ forklift) and bring the other crew some rebar. When I got to the rebar stockpile I was rather disapointed to see a trailer in front of it. I told that to my boss and he said "Just get the damn steel" Anyway to get the 20ft pieces of rebar over the trailer I had to extent the boom way out and way high. As I was backing up and to the right I realized it was leaning at more than a safe level. "This is scary" I thought. About this time is when the left rear tire blew out. That tire also happened to be the outside down hill tire. Over I went onto cab side. This story gets better.. keep reading. Luckily the boom was far enough out so it hit the ground before the cab did. However on impact, the seat tore away from the floor and at that point the seatbelt served no real purpose. I was in a semi-normal frame of mind so i figured first things first, turn of the engine. It kept running. 2nd, try and get out of the machine. That was also a no-go since the door was on the ground and the side window would only open about 4 inches cause of a tiny pebble I could actually see in the window runner. I was tempted to kick out the front window but that was also impossible since the seat was right in front of it and I had no where to put it. I also kinda figured the boss wouldnt like me kicking out the windshield. So I was stuck till someone found me. Help was a lot longer coming than I thought since all this happened out of site. It was only brought to the attn. of the others when my boss came to see why I was taking so long. All of a sudden there were 10 people to my aid. The pesky pebble was removed and I climbed out. Now since the motor was still running I was told to disconnect the battery but the second I opened the battery box, it fell out and went thru the side window, glanced off the seat and right thru the windshield I didnt want to kick out. Im ok and I didnt get fired. I will post pics as soon as their developed.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Wow that blows, don't petti-bones have tilt control hydraulics? We used to own 2 lulls and they did, you could tilt them side to side, I've worked on a petti bone before I just can't remember stuff about it. I don't know what they call them but those things have some Serious rockwells under them.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn that sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif but its pretty damn funny too! You have luck like me! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive been in some with tilt control but this one didnt have it. This ones idea of tilt control was a little half circly of glass with a bubble in it amd all its degree#s have long since worn away. But while inside I did notice the bubble was where it should never be.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    But while inside I did notice the bubble was where it should never be.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Glad you're alright. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Sorry to hear about the flop. What did the boss have to say ???

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I gotta tell ya that, "flopped a petti-bone" sounds like a masterbation metaphor....
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you are okay. I had to do an investigation into one of these type accidents. Seems a hydraulic valve kept leaking and the thing (Lull) would just tilt on it's time. ANyway, tipped over and luckily noone was hurt. The worse part is after an acident, the thing had to be re-certified by a Lull rep before it could be used again and the operator at the time hand to be recertified as an operator as well (OSHA requires both). ANyway, they would only recert lift after the installation of a new Lull cab, costing something like $10,000 installed. What a crock. I guess this is what insurance is for /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

The boss had some insurance guy go to the jobsite and they came to the conclusion that it was an accident. I actually ran over a piece of angle iron. I really dont think this machine is going to be operating again. The boom was pretty high up and it was the first thing to hit the ground and it bent it a little. Also 1 of the hyd. cylinders bent and on the other side the cylinder bracket is twisted. Now they call me petti-boner /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Now they call me petti-boner

[/ QUOTE ] Dood don't get me wrong, I'm glad you OK but this thread is killin me, infact I'm soo turned on right now I think I'll go flopp my petibone... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dood don't get me wrong, I'm glad you OK but this thread is killin me, infact I'm soo turned on right now I think I'll go flopp my PETITEbone... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "flopped a petti-bone" sounds like a masterbation metaphor....

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a room!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now they call me pet-the-boner

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool name, man! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I laughed out loud when I got to the part about the battery going through the windshield that you didn't want to kick out... LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I dropped a load of drywall through the roof of a one story home once. This too from a pettibone.

15. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

You can be a petti-boner too Larry! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif